grease fitting on rear door hinges

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
I’ve thought about doing this even back when I had my D1.
I didn’t know how much this would degrade the strength of the hinge when drilling it out for a zerk/grease fitting.

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
Seems the way their built that very little lube gets in when I have sprayed them in the past. Was thinking a small zerk in the center would help get something more inside. they remind me of my old xterra spare tire rack hinges. zerks on that helped quite a bit.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
Is that a common failure item?
For my Disco 2 I haven't seen or had any problems with the rear hinges.
But on my Disco 1, I had top replace both hinges since the bottom hinge went bad due to the hinge pin had snapped. It was a pain to keep lifting up on the rear door to open it or close it.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
Didn't do it on my D2, but on my Range Rover Classic. The lift gate hinges are famous for seizing up. So I drilled holes, just large enough for a spray grease straw, in the hinge barrels down to the pin. When sprayed, the grease came out both ends of the hinge, job done. May be the simplest way, and not weaken the hinge.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

MNinWI

Dec 19, 2007
I bought my 2003 D2 in 2006. I tried to find out from the shop manager at the nearby dealership what goes wrong with D2s. One thing he mentioned was the hinges. A couple times a year since then I have tried to oil them with a light oil and work it in for a few minutes each time. I have not had any problem with the hinges and I suspect that by now that there is a lot of old oil inside all the moving parts. The little bracket under the door that keeps it open, oiled that too where it has moving parts within the door. And the door handle latch above the license plate, oiled that too.

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
Didn't do it on my D2, but on my Range Rover Classic. The lift gate hinges are famous for seizing up. So I drilled holes, just large enough for a spray grease straw, in the hinge barrels down to the pin. When sprayed, the grease came out both ends of the hinge, job done. May be the simplest way, and not weaken the hinge.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S
Ok did this to my d2 hinges - what a difference. Now I can shut it without feeling like its being forced. my still do the zerk fitting later just to keep more grease in and most moisture out.