Cat Converters

Alabama Rover

Oct 15, 2008
Heflin, Alabama
If I take my cats off and do not put them back on would that help my power and fuel mileage or would it mess the engine up. Never really dealt with exhaust that much. Any and all, advice is greatly appreciated. BTW in alabama we do not have any emmissions test so that would not be a problem.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
if this is on your 98, if you run without the cats you will have a constant 430/420 code and a check engine light. if that doesnt bother you, then go for it. you wont feel any gains in removing them, unless your current cats are plugged beyond belief. in which case you will already have a code for this issue and it will be a non issue for you. :)

scottagnew101

Apr 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
not if your engine is running the way it should. But if you are having o2 problems and have bad cats, then yeah it would help. I do not recommend this though, nor do I know of many on here who would.

RoverInTheRockies

Apr 24, 2007
Colorado
www.myspace.com
Good point Scott

Personally I don't advocate it just because what is the point?

At the risk of sounding like a tree hugger: Te cats are a slight help to th environment and bring down the number of contaminants that our gas hogs are constantly expelling...

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
I've seen on ebay a little bung you add to your rear O2 sensors that makes the sensor farther away from the exhaust stream. This should keep the check engine light off after a few drive cycles. The bung was for Audi so it wouldn't fit D1 O2's but the theory should work if you could find one for D1.

scottagnew101

Apr 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
have you read some of the posts about buying generic cat's to replace yours with. If you can find "a good 'ol boy" shop they can do just about anything. I know a guy local that does great work REALLY cheap.

BCDisco

Sep 7, 2005
Victoria BC
My 99D1 had the orig Cats, and at 120K, ran with NO power, I had them replaced with 'test pipes' and the power diff is HUGE! now I know that the cats must have been VERY clogged for it to make this much of a difference, but when was the last time they were replaced? If they are newer, then its not really worth the bother, but if they are old, its worth a shot...

scottagnew101

Apr 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Catalyst don't fail unless some outside force (or foreign object) causes them to. If your rover is not running right (IE: an o2 sensor problem that goes unsolved for some time or a lot of cylinder misfires that go uncured) then they would be more prone to failure.