RR P38 PAS pump into D2

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
My failing PAS pump had me ticked off. The requirement to access it was a pain and the cost of the pump is just stupid (aren't most LR parts?). The P38 pump locates where the ACE pump would reside and the idler pulley where the D2 pump would be located. I do not have ACE in my D2 so the P38 conversion was quite simple. I found P38's in the local pick-n-pulls. One place wanted $35 (bracket included) and the other only $17.50. I got both as I intend to convert my wife's D2 when I finish working on the engine. Everything is a direct bolt in except the HP hose and fittings (cost about $70). Even the stock D2 serpentine belt is used. I picked up various -6 JIC fittings at a local hydraulic shop, mocked stuff up and had the HP hose made. The only difficult(?) part was fabbing up a 100* hardline from the pump to the hose. It took about 1 hour to create but you could just use a 90* adapter. I'm back on the road. If this pump fails it's super easy to get to and cheaper than the D2 pump.

Last edited:

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
This is good info to have, but seems to have minimal advantage over just getting a replacement D2 pump from the U-pull. All makes/models are the same price at my local yard (~$25), so there's not much motivation for me to run around sourcing fittings and the new HP line..

Maybe if you already have the parts, or live on an island with only P38a parts available..?

Regardless, it's interesting, and thanks for sharing.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I sought this out after having to remove the entire bracket assembly to pull the pump. It's far more complicated than need be. LR chose to install a stepped bolt that fits through the smaller hole of the pump that can't be removed alone. That makes the job a lot more involved. Now, I just remove the belt, disconnect two hoses, and two 8mm bolts and the pump is in my hands. To top that off the P38 pump can be found cheaper than the D2 pump.

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
Iirc the p38 pump flows less at less pressure. PT shraham or someone compared them all on pirate.

P38 uses atf, D2 uses the stupid ace fluid.