Just how bad of an idea is this?

jdarwin

Oct 23, 2017
Nebraska
On a scale of 1-10, how stupid am I for considering buying a '92 Classic with 220K on the clock?

Have a Series but want a coiler and recently got the itch for a Classic. Going to look at one in Portland, guy is asking $5400. PO apparently did head gaskets, but no records. (Can't imagine it's made them this far without them.) Heater core and blower done recently and the rest of the truck is mostly rust-free and not totally roached out.

I figure that best case, I roll it to 300K, and worst case, it slips a liner on the way to work and I hate myself even more than I already do.

Thoughts?

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
220k is just a lot, but really is just normal miles given age.

You are already keyed in on the biggest things; engine (not that the heads are all that susceptible in the 3.9/4.2) and the annoyance of the heater core.

The price point may be aspiration but also reflects how RRC's are rising in value if in decent condition.

So it is no worse an idea than any other Rover.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
On a scale of 1-10, how stupid am I for considering buying a '92 Classic with 220K on the clock?

Have a Series but want a coiler and recently got the itch for a Classic. Going to look at one in Portland, guy is asking $5400. PO apparently did head gaskets, but no records. (Can't imagine it's made them this far without them.) Heater core and blower done recently and the rest of the truck is mostly rust-free and not totally roached out.

I figure that best case, I roll it to 300K, and worst case, it slips a liner on the way to work and I hate myself even more than I already do.

Thoughts?
These engines rarely slip liners. The shit hit the fan with introduction of NAS D2.
I'd have zero problems buying a Classic of any vintage with these miles - but for the price you listed, the rest of the truck must be mint.
Engines are a dime a dozen, you can always build a nice one using a 4.0 block with 3.9 front cover etc.

By the way... Blown heater core is a near-guarantee that the truck has been running hot for a long time, but a head gasket job can be done in a day if parts are at hand and not too many beers are flowing.

jdarwin

Oct 23, 2017
Nebraska
Fuck it, here's the ad: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/1992-land-rover-range-rover/6329171626.html

Not too worried about doing head gaskets... already done it once on a Series. Just have to double the fun with the V8!

Seller is a member here as well, it seems. Have talked to him on the phone extensively (I'm in the Midwest and won't see the truck till the weekend) and he is clearly a car guy. He bought it and the PO said he'd had head gaskets done but without records. Could be that it was running hot and that's why the heater core needed to be replaced. And, just having done that job on a buddy's truck over the weekend, I can say not having to do it again on this one is worth some $$. Either way, he seems to have tackled several of the bigger jobs I'd be doing on the truck otherwise.

Already have my tickets to go out there Friday. Had some travel points eating a hole in my pocket and this one looked worth the trip. Worst case, I shoot the shit with another Rover guy for a few hours and go back home without a truck, but I'm hoping it's worth the time (as it appears to be).

jdarwin

Oct 23, 2017
Nebraska
I?ve only got the balls for one big Rover trip a year! And this year?s was taken by a 1500 mile trip in my Series. I think I?ll ship this one, but I?m glad to hear I?m not totally out of my mind for wanting to buy this truck.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I wouldn't be afraid of high mileage because to get to that mileage a lot of components would have already been replacement. It takes some level of maintenance to get over 200k.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
From reading the ad sounds like many of the typical problem areas have been addressed. Just had the maxi fuse redone in mine.

Agree to ship it back until you become more familiar with the quirks as most have - at least mine does.

Have to luv the 3 spokes!

Good luck!

jdarwin

Oct 23, 2017
Nebraska
From reading the ad sounds like many of the typical problem areas have been addressed. Just had the maxi fuse redone in mine.

Agree to ship it back until you become more familiar with the quirks as most have - at least mine does.

Have to luv the 3 spokes!

Good luck!

Thanks! Here's hoping my Friday update has good news...

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
The ad adressed some of those areas:

August 2016: POR15 all spots in cargo area.
October 2016: POR15 on front foot wells, hood, battery area. Sealed footwell seams.

For sure one wants to inspect the areas you mentioned, yet, not as bad as when buying a RRC from the NE.

jdarwin

Oct 23, 2017
Nebraska
Didn't end up buying it. Bought a Land Cruiser instead :eek2:

Decided I'm just not ready for life as a double Rover owner. For now, the Series will have to do!

jdarwin

Oct 23, 2017
Nebraska
Cruisers are nice - had a FJ40 at one time.

What model did you buy?

Ended up with an FJ80. Locked front and rear with ARBs. But, it's a 92 with the 3FE. Only thing not to like about it is the MPGs. Either way, it complements my Series well.