What will your next vehicle be?

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Farm truck is different. I definitely want a jeep. :) A crappy old no frills jeep.

A buddy has a 1975 CJ5; for bouncing around his 300 acres in WV it is absolutely perfect-and impossible not to drive with a smile.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Now that the truck is taken care of, we're looking at what our weekend toy could be in a couple years. It was the D1 and TJ before. Now we're considering a Series again, D90, CJ3A, pre-72 CJ5, Side by side, or a couple of these:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KXTYES2bEG0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Why pre-72?

I know squat about jeeps.
This is about what I'm looking for:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-jeep-cj-5/6615382539.html

Hood length grew by 4 inches in '72 to fit longer engines. I prefer the shorter design.

This is the config we'd be interested in:

5141038845_2550e687b9_b.jpg

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
Hood length grew by 4 inches in '72 to fit longer engines. I prefer the shorter design.

This is the config we'd be interested in:

5141038845_2550e687b9_b.jpg

i like the parking brake. not sure it's factory, though. must have been a dealer upgrade.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
My wife recalls a childhood story of when her dad almost killed them in one. He had finished some brake work and they set off into the mountains only to find the brakes completely gave out on a steep mountain road. As it was beginning to descend, she was instructed to jump out and place a large rock under the tire, which thankfully she managed and they lived on. This is the same guy, a forest service ranger, who used to stop with her on the way home from school to check on a bobcat den. He had previously placed a bone outside the den, and would stick his head in to see if the cat had moved it inside.

capri_auto

Jun 1, 2005
North NJ
I bought myself a few weeks ago a 2006 Toyota 4Runner. I enjoy driving it but it lacks the character of my old D1.

I got an 4.0 '08 4runner about 3-4 years ago when I sold my '04 disco. The t4r been bullet proof with just regular maintenance. The amount I save on gas per year compared to the Disco covers the depreciation, but still very capable off road. I like the feeling of not wondering when my engine is going to implode. But yes, lacks the character, and you can buy 3 DIIs for the price of a 4th gen 4runner. At least the yota holds value and is a lot simpler to work on.

I got it with 115k I'm at 152k now. Plenty of 4th gens out there with over 300k. I think rust is the big killer on these, but mines pretty clean still. When it's time, I will probably buy another 6-8 year old toyota truck.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
When it's time, I will probably buy another 6-8 year old toyota truck.

Im looking hard at Toyota as well. As much as I love my Disco it's getting and and tired. I'm seriously considering a late 1st Gen Sequoia or Tundra. (2005-2007) I'd love a Land Cruiser, but they are crazy expensive.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Im looking hard at Toyota as well. As much as I love my Disco it's getting and and tired. I'm seriously considering a late 1st Gen Sequoia or Tundra. (2005-2007) I'd love a Land Cruiser, but they are crazy expensive.

Don't let high miles on a Cruiser scare you. I know they still bring big money well into the 250K mile range. I have one with 225K and it's been extremely reliable over the past few years and it spends all its time off-road. Such great vehicles.

What greenspan said about the Lexus. Look there too. You'll be happier with an LC over a Sequoia. I like the 100s series personally.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Don't let high miles on a Cruiser scare you. I know they still bring big money well into the 250K mile range. I have one with 225K and it's been extremely reliable over the past few years and it spends all its time off-road. Such great vehicles.

What greenspan said about the Lexus. Look there too. You'll be happier with an LC over a Sequoia. I like the 100s series personally.

No kidding. Looked at LCs back in 2010 and 2006s w well over 100k miles were still isted at 35k plus.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Thanks for the heads up on the Lexus LX series, I always forget about those. I'm still leaning towards an LR3, but I'm half scared of the EAS.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Thanks for the heads up on the Lexus LX series, I always forget about those. I'm still leaning towards an LR3, but I'm half scared of the EAS.

The quality (inside and out) of an LR3 compared to a 100 series LC doesn't compare. I work with an instructor with two LR3s and jesus those things fall apart inside once you starting getting miles/years on them. They have been relatively reliable for him, but it's the fit/finish that surprised me. Then again I've had other friends locally that ditched their LR3s early on because of too many mechanical issues. There is a good reason you'll pay quite a bit more for a LC vs an LR3.