D1 eating fuel pumps - what's the cause?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
In the past few months I have had two fuel pump failures on my 1998 D1 (AEL fuel system). Luckily I've had spares on hand so the inconvenience was minor. Today my wife was driving the truck and the engine stopped running at a traffic signal and wouldn't restart. Starter and all electrics are working. I'll check it out when I get home from work to see if it's the fuel pump again. All 3 fuel pumps installed have been correct AEL genuine LR parts. New fuel filter within the last 4,000 miles, fuse is fine.

One fuel pump failure, no surprise - they all have to go sometime. Two failures in a short time, maybe a coincidence. Three seems beyond chance. What other parts in the fueling system could be causing repeated pump failure? Other threads here suggest fuel pump wiring harness, CPS, or inertia switch. What's the best way to narrow down the possibilities? Where else should I look? Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The crank sensor wouldn't likely be causing the problem, but the wiring to it might. I've never seen one of those old ones fail, only D2 CkPS fail in my experience. The fuel pump harness definitely can get corroded or melted. When it won't start, just check for power and ground at the fuel pump. If you have power and ground, but the pump doesn't run, it is just a bad pump.

Grenade

Oct 8, 2015
Vegas
Possibly the brand/MFG? Not to familiar with the AEL stuff but does it require a special fuel pump or can you use anything that fits into the hanger? I've had good luch with AC Delco pumps.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
If you have power and ground, but the pump doesn't run, it is just a bad pump.

This is my point: it's extremely unlikely that I would end up with 3 consecutive faulty genuine AEL pumps in the span of a few months. My theory is that the fuel pump failure is not the root of the problem. It is the symptom of something else that causes the pumps to fail. I'd like to track down the more fundamental issue so I don't have to keep replacing fuel pumps at inopportune and frequent intervals.

I'll take a peek at the fuel pump harness, although the truck has been west coast its whole life and in 18 months of ownership I haven't seen any corrosion on it anywhere.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I can't imagine anything actually causing the fuel pump to fail. I'm thinking more along the lines of something cutting the fuel pump off.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I don't remember if D1s have a fuel pump connector in the harness somewhere near the wheelwell like late Classics - I'd check that if there is one.

Besides that, how old is your fuel filter and does fuel pressure regulator work (on the fuel rail)?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
High head pressure or starved supply are the obvious candidates. new sock filter and external fuel filter for each pump?

SMLE

Aug 21, 2014
GA
Incorrect voltage to the pump causing premature failure?

Have you checked the voltage?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I don't remember if D1s have a fuel pump connector in the harness somewhere near the wheelwell like late Classics - I'd check that if there is one.

Besides that, how old is your fuel filter and does fuel pressure regulator work (on the fuel rail)?

Pretty sure they do have that connector.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
When you say "fuel pump failure" does that mean no pressure at the rail or very low pressure?

Or what other method are you using to determine it is a non/poorly functioning pump?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Here's what my investigations revealed last night:

1. Turning key to position 2: no sound from fuel pump. I put my ear against the load space floor while someone else turned the key.
2. Fuel pressure at rail: nothing. Depressed Schrader valve and not a single drop of fuel or any pressure released.
3. All fuses in engine compartment fuse box were intact.

It would seem that the engine died from fuel starvation, burning everything that was in the rail.

I don't have a multimeter to check voltage. However: the last two times this happened I replaced the fuel pump and the problem immediately resolved. So if there is a problem elsewhere it's not showing itself immediately upon fuel pump replacement. The last two fuel pumps died within a month or two. That's the weird thing and what I want to track down: what is causing premature failure of fuel pumps. Incorrect voltage or faulty relays seem like reasonable places to start.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Sounds like the fuel pump connector.

A multimeter good enough for automotive use is under 10 bucks at harbor freight

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I can't see how having the incorrect voltage would kill the pump unless your alternator was putting out way too much voltage, but even then you'd have other symptoms.

Get one of these at your local auto parts store or hardware store.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I can't see how having the incorrect voltage would kill the pump unless your alternator was putting out way too much voltage, but even then you'd have other symptoms.

Get one of these at your local auto parts store or hardware store.
I am not even sure the old pumps Nick discarded were dead - he could be restoring the connection on the pump during the swap.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I am not even sure the old pumps Nick discarded were dead - he could be restoring the connection on the pump during the swap.

Exactly! Check the connection in the rear wheel well and at the pump. You could have corrosion or a loose comnection in one od of the plugs.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I've definitely seen at least one Discovery come back to the dealership shortly after a fuel pump replacement due to the connector being melted slightly a the pump. Learning how to do some simple diagnostics with a volt meter can save you a lot of money and time.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Bringing some closure to the thread: new fuel pump wiring harness did the trick. Engine started right up. No problem with the fuel pump that was already in the truck. Ended up being a pretty easy job with a reasonably inexpensive part. If any other fuel system problems arise I'll update the thread.