D1 no start after splashdown

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
XjQdARR.jpg

I'm looking for advice on next steps.

After driving through a puddle a the third time, my D1 shut itself off. I can get the starter to turn over, but I?m not getting spark. Sometimes I have to run through the gears to trick the neutral position switch. With the ignition in position II and III, I hear a loud clicking noise from a yellow relay under the glove box (I can feel it too). I've swapped the relay with no change. I dug into the RAVE manual but the relays in that area look like: condenser fan, power wash, ABS load, ABS warning. None of these seem related to the ignition.

I pulled the ECM and disassembled the box. There were a few mud drips on the boards but it was not wet when I got there (24 hours later). I sprayed the boards down with electrical parts cleaner, cleaned the pins and used dielectric grease when putting it back in the truck. No change in symptoms.

There was a build up of mud behind the passenger fender in the engine bay. Enough moisture has been there to rust out the washer reservoir bolts in the fender. Water could have gotten in where the harness feeds through the firewall, but nothing obvious.

Some research on the forums suggests there is a"hard reset" that could be done with the proper computer. Is that true/necessary?

[1997, D1, GEMS, no prior electrical issues]

El Ed

Apr 20, 2004
San Diego
I’ve had this happen before. Water gets into the ecu and you have to open it up and let it completely dry. Hopefully the moisture has not started to corrode inside. If all is good and dried completely, you can seal the box with silicone.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Are you able to communicate with the ECU? Is it giving you any codes after cranking? That may help point you in the right direction.

May sound silly, but have you generally checked underhood grounds and electrical connections? Sometimes it's not the obvious cause(in this case, water), but a side effect(jolt from hitting the puddle hard knocked terminals loose).

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
I posted this 24 hours after it got wet. Apparently 48 hours was what it needed. The clicking went away and she fired up with a little struggle. After idling a bit, she fired up like nothing happened.

I'm surprised it was so easy to have a water problem. I'll seal up the ECU and clean up around that fender to try and lower the chances of this happening again.

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
Maybe this is a dumb question, but assuming the ECU was the issue, could I have swapped a dry one in and been on my way? It's not the type of part I would think of as a "trail spare" but it was pretty crippling. As it turned out, the puddle was a just a dirt road from town and we easily coasted and towed it to a spot where AAA could get me. However, it's not hard to imagine getting bricked in a bad spot - especially if I was solo.

How similar are ECUs across the D1 families? Is there any programming required when swapping them out?

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
There's a connector in the driver side wheel well for the fuel pump. You may have gotten water in the connector and it wouldn't fire the pump.

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
While it's a rarity, splashing just the right/wrong way through water like that will leave you with water in the cylinders. I had to bring tools to a tool who did the same aggressive splashing (I'd bet it was a shallower waterhole, too) and inhaled enough water in his D1 (no snorkel) to cause it to stumble to the point of cutting out. Did the ol' pull-the-plugs-and-crank trick, and shot water out of multiple cylinders. He was lucky it didn't do permanent damage... popped the plugs back in and started it up. After a few, it cleared out and ran fine.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
My D1 did that to me at a car wash, twice....

It was the ECU, high pressure spray got past the weather seal on the hood and went into the top of the ECU.

Sealed it with silicone and didn't have issues after that.

El Ed

Apr 20, 2004
San Diego
I posted this 24 hours after it got wet. Apparently 48 hours was what it needed. The clicking went away and she fired up with a little struggle. After idling a bit, she fired up like nothing happened.

I'm surprised it was so easy to have a water problem. I'll seal up the ECU and clean up around that fender to try and lower the chances of this happening again.

Before you sealed it up, did you let open it up, take it apart and completely let it dry. If any moisture remains inside and you sealed it, expect it to start corroding. The rover will continue to run like normal but it could eventually died on you when you least expect it. I would suggest you follow those steps if you left it as is then just sealed it after 2 days. Just my 2 cents.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
You can have a spare ECU but you will need to get the security code changed to match the one you are running now. If you are going to keep doing that then I would take the time to go through all your connections with a water proofing spray or grease. At least do the ones under the car. If I remember correctly, the crank sensor is the only sensor that will cause the motor not to run. It will run with varying degrees of crappiness without the other sensors. I have not tried running one without any sensors but the crankshaft sensor. I also gave my ECU a bath once too. Chased that problem for a bit.

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
Thanks for the input. I'm planning to: clean the boards with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush, let dry, then apply a conformal coating (Konform SR Conformal Coating) to the boards and use grease on the connection pins.

I'm 50/50 on using silicone to assemble box since the coating claims to protect against water. I'll start with just the ECU and hunt down other electronics if this works.

I'll take pictures and report back!