Jointed Rear Trailing Arms

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Anyone running these on an early Disco? Issues, handling changes noticed? I am guessing straps will be required since there will be no bush binding to stop travel.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
the rear already outflexes the front. Look at the rover in your avatar.

heim joint on the front trackbar helps out a lot if you're looking to go further up the rti without flopping

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
the rear already outflexes the front. Look at the rover in your avatar.
heim joint on the front trackbar helps out a lot if you're looking to go further up the rti without flopping

I am drawing the line at a custom 3 link for the front. I will not cross...

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Cehck with Kyle about a front 3 link...his was very well balanced...

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Anyone running these on an early Disco? Issues, handling changes noticed? I am guessing straps will be required since there will be no bush binding to stop travel.
I did for a while.
No handling changes at all, a lot of flex.
The lifetime of heim joints in this application - about a year. Then the grit eats away just enough of metal to cause rattling/clunking noise, followed with unpredictable handling later.
No more heim-jointed rear arms for me.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I ran rear jointed arms. Don't recall any handling changes. I had the big polyurethane joints from Ballistic at the chassis side. Axle side I had the smaller Ballistic joints; these with some smaller step down washers fit the stock axle mounts perfectly.
Only downside was that they were bolt in, meaning the chassis side bolted right to the stock triangle plate. This meant the arms had a smaller swing radius than the stock arms. So with the jointed arms, 12" travel shocks, and cones the axle would swing forward and toward the passenger side a bit. Check the pic.
I have all the parts to make longer jointed trailing arms with weld on brackets to the chassis, just not sure if I'm going to do it.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Most of the non-custom ones I have seen plug in to the stock bracket when the Bush is removed.
Right, and the ones I was using had the joint about 2" behind the nominal "pivot point" of the factory trailing arms (making them effectively shorter and moving the tire close to the body/rock slider at the end of the travel).

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Right, and the ones I was using had the joint about 2" behind the nominal "pivot point" of the factory trailing arms (making them effectively shorter and moving the tire close to the body/rock slider at the end of the travel).

Exactly how mine were.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Adjustable. Not a gimmick. Worth it just to eliminate changing the stock chassis side trailing arm bushings all the time.