NOCO Genius Failed After Exposure to Moisture

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
This is a shame, because it's otherwise a well-built unit. Visible condensation is present inside through the clear cover portions used to view the LEDs. A bit of rain, and high humidity this year.

It's been reliable so far, but now I can't trust it.

Does anyone know a better unit? I'm after a jump starter, not a charger. I'm not sure how the Antigravity units hold up, but water exposure killing something like this is simply not acceptable. It's not as if it was dunked. I've had it for a couple of years, but not long enough for a failure.

Let me re-emphasize: I DON'T want a charger. The device must do only one job. It's hard enough for those morons to get this right without packing all that bullshit into the case.

I'd prefer something with a warranty longer than a year, but that may be impossible these days. I don't know whether the NOCO will take a charge now, but it's irrelevant. It's been two weeks since it would, and since it functioned. That makes it useless, even if plugging it in right now works.

Cheers,

Kennith

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
Did you keep it in a case or left it out in the open?
I’ve got my NOCO Genius GB70 in a case and haven’t had any moisture problems in almost two years I’ve had mine (year and a half in Georgia & now 3 months in England).
It works great during the times when I need to use it.

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Did you keep it in a case or left it out in the open?
I?ve got my NOCO Genius GB70 in a case and haven?t had any moisture problems in almost two years I?ve had mine (year and a half in Georgia & now 3 months in England).
It works great during the times when I need to use it.

I'm not sure how much "in the open" I should be avoiding, here. I keep it in a nylon bag with the accessories and documentation, but I've certainly used it in the rain. I don't think that should be something that needs to be avoided.

To me, that's a design failure for something with all those rubber seals and covers. If it can't handle damp environmental conditions, delete those features and build it cheaper. There's no need for the rugged aesthetic if it's mouth is writing checks it's ass can't cash.

This has been exposed to no more nastiness than my HP Elite X3. One works. One doesn't.

Normally I'd give a company several chances, but this is like a specialized kitchen appliance. If it doesn't work every time, it's just not good enough. I'd say performance should be consistent over a period of at least three years, and the weatherproofing should last just as long.

As much design effort as went into these, you'd think they'd hold up to a little moisture. As it sits, that's a lot of expensive industrial design for something that needs to be coddled in damp environments. May as well cheap out on the case and save everyone some money if you can't keep it sealed.

Edit: Nope. It's dead. Still won't do anything.

That's a shame, because it worked well while it worked at all. Very well.

Cheers,

Kennith