Retail Space Audio Solution

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
So the missus opened a new clothing store and we want to have music of course. Without breaking the bank and this is just for background ambiance, what are some suggestions? Input will likely be some sort of streaming service like Spotify. We have iPad and iPod as a source and have thought about something like a couple Sonos Play1s.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
This, the UE MegaBoom: http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/uemegaboom (You can get it on Amazon for about $250)

I was in Verizon last year and they had ONE of these playing. It filled the whole store. That's a stand alone Verizon store; easily 1000+ sq ft. I thought is was a complete sound system with multiple speakers in the ceiling. Nope, just this little speaker.

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
This, the UE MegaBoom: http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/uemegaboom (You can get it on Amazon for about $250)

I was in Verizon last year and they had ONE of these playing. It filled the whole store. That's a stand alone Verizon store; easily 1000+ sq ft. I thought is was a complete sound system with multiple speakers in the ceiling. Nope, just this little speaker.

I looked at that and a similar unit by Libratone. Not seen/heard the UE Boom or Libratone in person.

Our store is roughly 1200 sq feet of retail as well.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
just a note: since you're playing music in a public space, you'll require an ASCAP license. In most scenarios, it's easier to set up an account with Muzak or Sirius that covers that license. they might have complete set-ups too.

Amp and speakers could be anything. From a pair of bookshelf speakers and a small amp to an amp with a 70v output and speakers throughout the store.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/226049

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Micca MB42X with SMSL SA50 amp for great sound on a budget
Micca PB42X or Swans D1010-IV if you want integrated amp
Harman Kardon Onyx for very simple

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
In a retail environment, it's best to fill the space evenly with sound, so you want to consider that. One speaker playing in an obvious location brings to mind dusty radios on file cabinets. If you use only one, position it carefully, and make sure it's got the meat to play quietly and clearly at the same time.

Before you buy anything, see if you can bring in an audio source and position it around the space while listening. Doesn't matter what it is. You should be able to tell if one speaker will be sufficient rather quickly. Clothing is good in relation to reflections, but too much insulation in a space can impede performance.

If you're good with one speaker, Sonos is fine. Bose offers similar products, and so do others. You might want to stick with those two, though, for the greatest compatibility, simplicity, and support over time. What I'd put in a retail establishment is much different than what I'd put in a home, and there are lots of neat little options out there that will work well.

Bose is more simple to expand to multiple speakers than Sonos, but Sonos is more easy to control with mobile devices. Six one way, half-dozen the other. Whatever you do, keep it simple. You don't want to keep having to screw with it in a business environment. If you can get away with a single speaker, do it; and pick a primary music source and stick with it.

Don't try to do too much.

The legality of what you play and when you play it is a different matter, and best examined personally as it pertains to the scope and recognition of your business.

Also, note that Best Buy has a pretty bulletproof return policy; at least 15 days. I get 45 as en Elite Plus Rewards benefit. It ranges a bit, but however long you have, they don't hassle you. If it's not working for you, bring it back and try something else. Don't be afraid to just give something a shot.

One more thing: Make sure EVERYONE that matters can use it.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
It is absolutely imperative that EVERYONE with access to this vital piece of hardware is properly trained to adjust the volume, even if under extreme duress.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
It is absolutely imperative that EVERYONE with access to this vital piece of hardware is properly trained to adjust the volume, even if under extreme duress.

They ought to be. Otherwise, you'll waste countless hours un-fucking a simple device because someone couldn't wrap their brain around it. To this very day people can't figure out television inputs, and now manufacturers are providing them with smart devices that are so simple they become complicated as hell when they hiccup.

Cheers,

Kennith

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
AZ Max, already looked into some services. Pandora is complaint and I was considering Spotify Business.

Kennith, I pretty much agree with everything you said. That is one of the reasons I like the Libratone speaker. It has speakers going around a cylinder to give 360* sound instead of typical single direction.

I want to keep this as simple as possible. This is one reason I was looking at a wifi speaker that connects to an in-store iPod. If my wife can figure this out, then ANYBODY can.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
They ought to be. Otherwise, you'll waste countless hours un-fucking a simple device because someone couldn't wrap their brain around it. To this very day people can't figure out television inputs, and now manufacturers are providing them with smart devices that are so simple they become complicated as hell when they hiccup.

Cheers,

Kennith
years ago, i worked in a hotel.
every day, just after 4pm, there was always a hullabaloo in the meeting rooms because the house music suddenly came blasting on.
some investigation determined that the evening bar manager came in at 4pm, and the first thing he did was goto the amp rack and turn up the volume in the bar and the restaurant. And there was that third knob clearly marked "MEETING ROOMS".
He was a fucking moron, so he'd always turn that one up to 11, since he couldn't tell the difference in the bar.
Asked him repeatedly to STOP FUCKING TOUCHING the MEETING ROOM level.
But he was a cockholster, so he wouldn't stop.
I disabled his ability to change the feed to the meeting rooms, but left the dead knob intact.
So every day, he turned a knob that didn't do anything.

yes. training is important.
Underestimate the stupidity of humans at your own peril.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
years ago, i worked in a hotel.
every day, just after 4pm, there was always a hullabaloo in the meeting rooms because the house music suddenly came blasting on.
some investigation determined that the evening bar manager came in at 4pm, and the first thing he did was goto the amp rack and turn up the volume in the bar and the restaurant. And there was that third knob clearly marked "MEETING ROOMS".
He was a fucking moron, so he'd always turn that one up to 11, since he couldn't tell the difference in the bar.
Asked him repeatedly to STOP FUCKING TOUCHING the MEETING ROOM level.
But he was a cockholster, so he wouldn't stop.
I disabled his ability to change the feed to the meeting rooms, but left the dead knob intact.
So every day, he turned a knob that didn't do anything.

yes. training is important.
Underestimate the stupidity of humans at your own peril.

Just last night when I was attempting to help someone with a computer issue they caused, they informed me that they didn't need to know how it worked, they just needed the solution. He still thinks the reliability of Internet service is entirely controlled by his computer, and that Microsoft Word itself is a "new document".

I've officially stopped helping people with electronics of any kind; even my closest friends and family. I won't lift another finger to help out even if the machine is about to suffer a terminal failure and destroy all the digital photographs of dead relatives.

I've had it with that crap. I'll watch a television burn to the ground before I'll tell someone which button to push to turn it on.

Cheers,

Kennith