What the Photobucket!!!!???

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
Because you decided that all photos of any relevance you've ever posted weren't worth paying $39 for a month, then cancelling the account.
Dude, there's no rational explanation or excuse. You get exactly what you paid for.

Have you ever looked at a thread and enjoyed pics? Ever seen a technical thread and it helped you make a repair more easily or correctly? If so you've used photobucket for free as well most likely. It's not only being used by its hostees but also from anyone who looks at the posted pics.

Its the same with Facebook. Free to use. They make their money in other ways. Photobucket offered a service. 10 years ago. Free hosting of pics. The catch was they used the dashboard of the user interface to advertise. Thats fine. There was no pay option...ever. They did offer photo related services. Which i occasionally used. This nonsense of somehow paying for the past is silly and backwards. They made the site free. They wanted traffic to their site to sell ads. This was their model of business. Same as Facebook YouTube, Snapchat, Twitter and a score of other mainstream public digital programs. Now suddenly they not only reversed that model but gave absolutely zero notice. Or options. Then for added fun the prices that they gave to their users is completely preposterous.

It's funny because most people post pics to share knowledge inspiration or experiences with others. Then they read and share others experiences pics or knowledge. Think about all the technical threads that are now next to useless. All the road trip or off roading threads that have been stripped and ruined. Who is going to take the time to go back into those threads and figure out how to repost a pic? Next to no one I'll wager. I can think of dozens of threads that the posters pics made a critical difference in me taking on and completing a repair. That's just the Land Rover world.100s of forums with 1000s of threads. For everyone to share knowledge. That's the entire point of the internet. Now gone or runied. Because of greed. I gladly would pay if the price was relive to the service. Just to keep the little sliver of knowledge I've shared w the web alive. 9.99 a month seems fair. That's what you pay to use You tube with zero ads. I refuse to believe photobucket stores more data than Youtube does.

In the future I will use another host site.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Don't get me wrong....it was a dickhead move of the first degree. Millions of threads are busted now. But those are the breaks fo free shit.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
I don't get it. Photobucket has always been a shitty service. Are you guys just now seeing their broken images? They've been breaking thread postings for years.

Are you also pissed that your Geocities website is gone, too?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I don't get it. Photobucket has always been a shitty service. Are you guys just now seeing their broken images? They've been breaking thread postings for years.

Are you also pissed that your Geocities website is gone, too?

I've never ever had a problem hosting a pic there. It did exactly what I needed it to do. Most of the time you would see a broken Photobucket link in a thread it was because the user deleted that image from their Photobucket account.
I can still access my account and get all my photos but all my sexy flexy pics are gone from the internet. I was about 1 week away from finishing a build thread on another site. That thread is pretty much worthless now.
What's worse is all the RossBoss & Alex pics are gone too. 😭

kk88rrc

I don't get why people link pics from hosting sites instead of uploading them to the forum. Most forums I'm on allow for a decent size image to be uploaded. There's nothing worse than finding a thread with missing images.

Can someone explain the benefits of third party hosting?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I don't get why people link pics from hosting sites instead of uploading them to the forum. Most forums I'm on allow for a decent size image to be uploaded. There's nothing worse than finding a thread with missing images.

Can someone explain the benefits of third party hosting?

Well if I'm not mistaken uploading straight to Dweb wasn't an option until somewhat recently. Also, a lot of forum uploaders just put your pics at the end of your thread. If you're doing a step by step, build thread, or trip report its nice to have the pics embedded directly in the text body.
Also, some of the pic uploaders really suck on specific sites.

kk88rrc

Well if I'm not mistaken uploading straight to Dweb wasn't an option until somewhat recently. Also, a lot of forum uploaders just put your pics at the end of your thread. If you're doing a step by step, build thread, or trip report its nice to have the pics embedded directly in the text body.
Also, some of the pic uploaders really suck on specific sites.

That makes some sense but on most 'modern' forums there are work arounds. One is to upload the typical way which puts it at the bottom and click on the link which will open it in another window where you can copy the address to insert wherever. Size is decent (not great) at 1600x1600.

attachment.php

Or if you're doing a step by step, create an album in your User CP and again copy the address once uploaded... like this. Size is a bit limiting with this option at only 600x600.

picture.php

paxton

Nov 13, 2006
Huntsville, AL
You should see what a mess it made of ADV.

I like IMGUR, but I also have my own domain.

I'm fine with PB doing this. I think it's a good lesson. Don't let someone else control your stuff. (HINT: one day you'll regret having everything on Facebook. Anyone remember AOL keywords?)

That said, it's hard to control traffic views via forums, and that can eat up metered bandwidth on your server. So perhaps one of the AWS servers.

Could we do that here? Create a subdomain that points to AWS, say images.discoweb.org, that can host images at more reasonable prices?

Finally, PB prices are nuts. Yes I know bandwidth is expensive for all those pictures. That's why so many forums don't host them. But I suspect the $10 subscriptions everyone has to Netflix eats up a lot more bandwidth than PB.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
The CodingHorror blog post is ten years old now. Amazon S3 prices are a small fraction of 2007 prices and the tools are even better. FileZilla and Cyberduck both support it out of the box. I'm sure there are uploaders for iOS and android too.