West NC/ Mtns of Va

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
My father in law and girlfriend will be in from Zimbabwe on Friday and I am pretty sure they will get sick of the beach pretty fast. Looking for things to do in the West NC and/or the VA Shenandoah-ish area.

Both are about the same distance for us, just looking for something to keep them entertained.

Thanks.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Is that your girlfriend or your FIL's?
I think Dan's job has a "Bring a friend to work" day. That could be fun.
I like turtles.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
What part of West NC? Because, there's always Asheville. And Gatlinburg (Dolly Wood), if you go a little further west into TN.

What are you looking to do? Hike? Trout fish? Sight see? Drink beer (Asheville)?

There's not much in northern western NC other than Appalachian State U, and Winston-Salem (you can buy furniture in High Point).

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
What part of West NC? Because, there's always Asheville. And Gatlinburg (Dolly Wood), if you go a little further west into TN.

What are you looking to do? Hike? Trout fish? Sight see? Drink beer (Asheville)?

There's not much in northern western NC other than Appalachian State U, and Winston-Salem (you can buy furniture in High Point).

Father in law isn't into hiking or catching "bait" as he calls it (he fishes for big fish in the Indian Ocean), but he is into beer drinking.....

Might be a good idea.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Father in law isn't into hiking or catching "bait" as he calls it (he fishes for big fish in the Indian Ocean), but he is into beer drinking.....

Might be a good idea.

You can't beat Asheville for the beer drinking. Too many microbreweries to see in a weekend.

Food is good too. A bit of a hippie/tree hugger vibe, but they make good food and beer.

My son and I stop at Homegrown every time we drive through. There are many others as well

NB: Hotels in Asheville itself (inside the loop) can be stupid expensive, like $300+/night expensive. So have a designated driver. Or Uber account

Then Go Tour the Sierra Nevada bottling plant in Asheville.
New Belgium Brewing (Fat Tire) is there as well. Tour schedule: http://www.newbelgium.com/Brewery/asheville/tours