A simple DWEB Observation...

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
The only problem is that all the useful information is buried among a whole lot of bitching and arguing.. It makes it hard to find answers. Thats why I always try to update my threads with the solution for the problem I asked.

I'm new to Land Rovers, off roading and DiscoWeb. I keep hearing that everything has been covered, but I can't find many tech how-tos. When I stumble upon something, links and pictures appear to be dead. Searching brings up like 2 pages of people saying it's been covered before, but nothing that actually addresses the issues.

WNYDiscoIIErik

Jan 29, 2006
Clarence, NY
www.lucky8llc.com
If this was true, our tech forums would be dead. They're actually our most popular boards.

Another interesting tidbit: back when I first started hosting DWeb (7 years ago, I think), we got about one or two new signups a day. We're getting 10-12 a day now. Not sure what's changed but DWeb gets more traffic now than it has in years.

It's that google juice. The site has been around for so long that when people search their symptoms on google, a lot of dweb threads show up

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I started coming here not long after getting my first RR, can't remember when that was.
Never had a disco, although I always liked the looks.
I would have gotten a Disco instead of an RR, right up until I got in the drivers' seat, and discovered that everyone who designed the Disco was 5'6" or less.
Sitting in the drivers' seat, the roof came down and blocked my forward vision.
It was like having the sun visor down, except all the way across the windshield.
Suddenly, I didn't like Discos quite so much.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
I started coming here not long after getting my first RR, can't remember when that was.
Never had a disco, although I always liked the looks.
I would have gotten a Disco instead of an RR, right up until I got in the drivers' seat, and discovered that everyone who designed the Disco was 5'6" or less.
Sitting in the drivers' seat, the roof came down and blocked my forward vision.
It was like having the sun visor down, except all the way across the windshield.
Suddenly, I didn't like Discos quite so much.

Same thing here - I started here with a Series IIA and RRC. Alway thought Discos were "ugly" - then I got one. I wish I had NEVER sold it!

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
The problem with DiscoWeb search (and pretty much every forum) is that we run vBulletin. vB is excellent forum software but the search functionality is pretty sucky. It doesn't support ranking by relevance, short queries (e.g. "ECU") and other things that we get on a modern search engine like Google. It just uses the MySQL database to do basic search queries and it's not sophisticated.

We could embed a Google search box in the site but that means that Google now sets cookies for everyone that visits our site (a huge no-no in my book) and tracks every keyword search to enhance their profile of you to better target you with advertisements. This runs totally counter to the ethos that DWeb and NAS-ROW embody: no ads, no marketing, no tracking cookies except a couple that we set to remember your login/password and to produce simple site traffic analytics that we keep in-house.

One solution might be to index our posts with ElasticSearch and use a simple search engine that we host (maybe something like https://search.discoweb.org) to search it. That would take a some custom coding on my part and would require a significant hardware investment because search engine databases need a lot of computing resources. Probably not happening anytime soon.

rover rob

Mar 29, 2016
upstate NY
If this was true, our tech forums would be dead. They're actually our most popular boards.

Another interesting tidbit: back when I first started hosting DWeb (7 years ago, I think), we got about one or two new signups a day. We're getting 10-12 a day now. Not sure what's changed but DWeb gets more traffic now than it has in years.

Dweb is getting a lot of free advertising on all the rover face book groups. that could be part of it.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Dweb is getting a lot of free advertising on all the rover face book groups. that could be part of it.

Those FB pages are a joke! I couldn't take it all the stupid questions and when you give them the answer, they get butt hurt because its not what they wanted to hear.
I guess that's the problem with these trucks costing $500.. All the cheap fucks are coming out of the woodwork.
Most of those people dont have thick enough skin to last on DWEB.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
We could embed a Google search box in the site but that means that Google now sets cookies for everyone that visits our site (a huge no-no in my book) and tracks every keyword search to enhance their profile of you to better target you with advertisements. This runs totally counter to the ethos that DWeb and NAS-ROW embody: no ads, no marketing, no tracking cookies except a couple that we set to remember your login/password and to produce simple site traffic analytics that we keep in-house.
And THANK YOU for that.
I was a member over at rangerovers.net back when John B owned it; joined there shortly before here.
I contributed what I could, hosted images on 1 of my machines for the users, etc.
When he sold it to whoever.corporation, I read the new "terms of use" and was done.

The lack of ads here is great.
And the salty comments.

kk88rrc

The problem with DiscoWeb search (and pretty much every forum) is that we run vBulletin. vB is excellent forum software but the search functionality is pretty sucky. It doesn't support ranking by relevance, short queries (e.g. "ECU") and other things that we get on a modern search engine like Google. It just uses the MySQL database to do basic search queries and it's not sophisticated.

I find on most sites running vBulletin, except here and Dsource, the search function is good. Even NAS-ROW works 100x better than here. 3.8.9 vs 3.8.10 doubt that's the solution but maybe. Here if you do a one word search and add a second word you get an increase in results. N-R I did the same test and the second word addition refined the results. I admin on a site running 5.3.1 and we have good search function (but I'm not the IT guy).

Short queries 3 or less didn't work. Relevance would be a nice option but just refining with additional words gets me there.

Just an observation.

honda50r

Jul 10, 2011
East Tennessee
I still jump on here occasionally seeking that perfect 5 speed D1. For now I moved on to this, cannot say I regret it one bit

Air Lockers F/R, narrow, and doesn't overheat.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
This is the nature of the rover community in general now. Same with our local club, used to have meetings, trail rides, local forum and all kinds of activity. Now, some have passed away, moved on to other brands, quit due to age or health or funds. Even the official rally is about to go down. LRNA and Land Rover both let us down with their branding and market targets. We are not the norm anymore. Look at all of those 4 door heaps that LR did not sell, they totally vacated that market and will never get it back. They are even more niche than they used to be in the off road market. Serious, capable, sturdy suburban shopping vehicle now. That makes them more money in the long run.

The dinosaurs died out, no more horse and buggies or blacksmiths, electric vehicles are predicted to take over in the next 10 to 20 years. Y'all are the diseased few, the less than 1 per centers, you are old school now. Time happens! I include myself in this group, I bleed green, been around for a long time in the shadows... Getting ready for those classic vehicle plates in a few years.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
I still jump on here occasionally seeking that perfect 5 speed D1. For now I moved on to this, cannot say I regret it one bit

Air Lockers F/R, narrow, and doesn't overheat.

Loves his Yota, Honda user name on a Land Rover Forum. Love it. Went to the dark side myself but I'll be back.