Who is using 20W50 on their D2 V8?

SafariDave

Sep 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Which 20W50 oil do you guys recommend?
Just got a D2 1999 V8 with 150K, it's running fine. I used to use 15W40 Rotella on my last D2 V8 7 years ago, but would like a recommendation for a 20W50 oil and Which brand? Since the D2 will be in living in the carribean it will be in warm weather only.
Thinking Castrol GTX High Milage 20W50 or regular Castrol 20W50?
Thank,
Dave

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This is one of the most discussed topic in the Rover Universe, along with tires and suspension lifts. You can ask 20 people and get at least that many different answers. There's a lot of information on this topic if you search prior posts - maybe too much.

My local indie Rover mechanic who's been working on these trucks for 30 years exclusively uses SwepCo 306 oil on account of it having a higher zinc content. His advice to me was to avoid using synthetic in these engines. I was curious about the performance, so I've used the SwepCo in the last few oil changes in both my trucks. They seem to be happy with it. This is not a bargain, but since I drive less than 8,000 miles per year cost isn't a big factor.

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
6 years 100,000 Km on Shell Rotella T5 5W-40, changed at every 5000 Km.

I was impressed at how clean the engine was.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego

5w50 is an appealing weight.... 15w40 seems a bit heavy cold, and a bit too viscous hot. But that stuff is so expensive... I like to change my oil pretty often

I run rotella 15w40 dino, like many do. It's cheap, readily available anywhere, and has high zinc content.

20w50 would be too heavy cold in my opinion, even in the south

special ed

Apr 11, 2012
Elsinore
Good Ol Castrol 20w50 is what I recommend in all the engines i build and use in all my 4.0 and 4.6 motors. Definitely no synthetics and definitely not to light of an oil.

Here is my reasoning. These engines even new and reman are not tight tolerance motors. Bearing clearances are nothing like specs in newer designed motors. 20w50 is reasonably thick oil, this is an "old" designed pushrod motor from late 60s early 70s and not to much has changed. Synthetic oils are very thin and have very little cushion for lifters, pushrods, rockers... in these old engines so definitely dont recommend them. 5w30 and 10w30 are really thin and are great in higher revving engines. Remember these barely turn 4000 rpms under normal use.

So with that all said, I like my 20w50 and would say at the least a 10w40 in these for different climate zones. Remember it is all about lubrication and oil pressure.

There is a bit more to this but thats my .02

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Synthetic oil is not thinner. It is exactly the viscosity that is measured and listed in its TDS, and summarized on the bottle as 15w-40, 10w-30, 5w-50, etc.

It's like saying exercise is bad for you because you never bothered before and now you're old and fat.

special ed

Apr 11, 2012
Elsinore
Synthetic oil is not thinner. It is exactly the viscosity that is measured and listed in its TDS, and summarized on the bottle as 15w-40, 10w-30, 5w-50, etc.

It's like saying exercise is bad for you because you never bothered before and now you're old and fat.

My bad for saying it. I was talking at the molecular structure and how it is formed. Not that the oil is actually thinner in viscosity.

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
I'm debating going to 15w-40 for summer. I tried the Mobil-1 0w-40 this past winter because of the higher zinc content. I've had the truck for 18 years and 108k miles, used Mobil-1 for the past 15 years and she runs great still, no ticking. She does leak though. I don't put many miles on it anymore, change oil twice a year regardless, once in the spring and once in the fall.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
My bad for saying it. I was talking at the molecular structure and how it is formed. Not that the oil is actually thinner in viscosity.

This is true. Even though the viscosity is the same it will find a way to leak when conventional oil wont. A good example of this is the front drive axle on late '90 early 2000 era GM trucks. They put out a TSB that said in cold climates the gear oil should be changed to full synthetic because the lubrication qualities in super cold weather (-25F).But before you did that you had to change out the axle seals and the vent. Because the synthetic would leak out the original seal.

I think as far as the oil brand goes. If it has the ASE starburst symbol on it it should be fine. Everyone has a personal favorite. I prefer Castrol because it's a high detergent oil. I also like to use the same oil in an engine once I start using it. Just so I know who to blame. Same way I buy all my gas from the same place.

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
When I picked up my block from the shop, the owner said to use this oil, or similar...
Joe,Gibbs driven racing oil/hot rod oil.
Said it is the type of oil these engines need for the lifter design. has high zinc. I think valvoline racing and Lucas also are fine for the zinc.

When I asked about synthetic oils he cringed. Not until after 25000+ miles on the high zinc oil if ever. new non zinc oils are fine for the newer engines but not for these older designed heads.

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
Valvoline VR1 is cheap readily available and has zinc. Diesels oils have been neutered to meet emission requirements and protect emissions equipment. That's the bottom line, zinc/zddp is what protects the lifters and cam

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
i bought my '96 about 10 years ago at 140,000 miles. it now has 240,000 miles and is still driven everyday. i have used Schaeffer synthetic 5W40 since my first oil change.

i know. completely anecdotal and YMMV.