Anyone Know This Person

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I think the 2.8 is around 10k just to start, so a little spendy, but fun outcome anyway.

$9k and change, but it comes with EVERYTHING you need, including fuel system wiring and I think even a electronic gauge pack?

Ive been eyeballing this setup since it came out... Id rather do this swap than the LS... LS swap is $12k out the door.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
$9k and change, but it comes with EVERYTHING you need, including fuel system wiring and I think even a electronic gauge pack?

Ive been eyeballing this setup since it came out... Id rather do this swap than the LS... LS swap is $12k out the door.

Except the adapters, right?

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
it doesnt have a guage pacakge per say, but has a CAN bus so you can intergrate to something and possibly the stock guages. No different than doing a LS swap, but the LS is cheaper (unless your buying a crate motor)

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
it doesnt have a guage pacakge per say, but has a CAN bus so you can intergrate to something and possibly the stock guages. No different than doing a LS swap, but the LS is cheaper (unless your buying a crate motor)

Thats my problem.. Why pull a junk yard LS with no history and just slam it in your truck without at least testing or rebuilding it?
With the R2.8 kit you know everything is new and works.

The adapters would be the worst part of it I think.

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
that engine has less power than the 4.0 that is already barely adequate for a Rover. Late model GM V8 hands down, run on regular fuel every autozone in America has parts for it. Those engines LL, LQ, LY, LS etc will go well over 250k if taken care of. I have never understood the infatuation with diesels...

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
that engine has less power than the 4.0 that is already barely adequate for a Rover. Late model GM V8 hands down, run on regular fuel every autozone in America has parts for it. Those engines LL, LQ, LY, LS etc will go well over 250k if taken care of. I have never understood the infatuation with diesels...

It's low on HP but high on torque, 270 ft lbs or so available up to 3000 rpm. I would have to check the mileage. And watch the video from Fred on the 2.8 page, they run one under water and drive it in a pond that is 14 feet deep. Can't do that with an LS.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
It's low on HP but high on torque, 270 ft lbs or so available up to 3000 rpm. I would have to check the mileage. And watch the video from Fred on the 2.8 page, they run one under water and drive it in a pond that is 14 feet deep. Can't do that with an LS.

Max torque starts at 1500 rpm- 3000rpm! Ian from Xtreme 4x4 show drove this exact truck. He said he was skeptical until he actually got to drive it. The gearing and trans have a lot to do with it as well.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
That pond was too small for a boat...

haha....drive around maybe? I mean...we should make smart choices in our life right?

smart choice #1....not putting an engine in a vehicle that costs more than the original vehicle... haha

Not gonna lie, it is cool, but i just don't get it. but then again me and my wife are both teachers and don't make enough money for this type of thing. I guess it is all about perspective.

With that being said...I would put my Disco, with the original engine, up against that bad boy any day. And I know which one would win...

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Unless you’re building a truck from scratch I’m not sure a diesel swap is worth it. The low end torque on the trails and fuel economy is great but highway drivability isn’t near what even an RV8 provides. If it were a true plug and play that’d be one thing but the Cummins swap seems even more involved than a Rover tdi swap

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Unless you?re building a truck from scratch I?m not sure a diesel swap is worth it. The low end torque on the trails and fuel economy is great but highway drivability isn?t near what even an RV8 provides.

Perhaps for some engines, but not the TD5. I have driven one of those several thousand miles and find that it's pretty good on the highway. I could maintain freeway speeds and even overtake in a moderately loaded Defender 110. The flipside of that was that the TD5 is not as good at low speeds as the 200/300TDI. Rover has solved these issues with the TDV6 and Ingenium engines, but I've yet to see someone swap one of those into a D1/D2/RRC.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN

i wonder if you could imbed a screen in the dash area and make an all digital display with the inputs from the CANBus?