Rotoflex Replaced - Rumbling On Overrun

95RRCSWB

We'll I thought I could just pop in a new rotoflex and then call it done.

The driveshaft splines seperated while I was doing the job and I had to guess which position to slide it back together.

Anyway, at freeway speeds I have a rumble now just on overrun now, nothing on accel or deaccel.

So, did I mess up the balance when the splines came apart or prehaps something else is going on?

95RRCSWB

Oh and I forgot to ask, but can I pull out the rear driveshaft and hit the freeway to see if this noise goes away or will that damage something to drive it with only the front driveshaft?

Thanks!

D

D Chapman

At he front and rear of the drive shaft, the yokes should be in-line with each other. If they are, and you still have the grinding noise, pull it apart and turn it 180 degrees.

95RRCSWB

I'll check when I get home. But now I remember I have the wrong transfer case to run it without a driveshaft (95 RR), so hopefully I can figure out the position they were in!

Gordo

transfer case

If you have the BW transfer case that came in the vehicle you can run it with either driveshaft out. unless the vicious coupling is bad you wont notice it. You probably still have that transfer case in there. You can remove the rear driveshaft and drive it and see what happens. If the hum goes away at least you know something is up with your driveshaft. If it sounds like marbles going off and/or your truck wont move without the driveshaft you can figure the vicious is out but I doubt that is the problem. Gordo

95RRCSWB

Uh, I looked and I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The rear drive shaft at the xfer has two mounting points and at the rotoflex it has three so I don't see how they could be aligned. Could you elaborate?

Thanks!

D Chapman said:
At he front and rear of the drive shaft, the yokes should be in-line with each other. If they are, and you still have the grinding noise, pull it apart and turn it 180 degrees.