Any NC trails worth checking out?

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
The only legal place to wheel within two hours of Raleigh is Uwharrie National Forrest. It's 100 miles away roughly.. The only other place is fort fisher down at the beach. There are some private trail systems around but they are not stock friendly and require an invite.

Last edited:

TarHeelPhil

Jun 12, 2016
Raleigh, NC
The only legal place to wheel within two hours of Raleigh is Uwharrie National Forrest. It's 100 miles roughly.. The only other place is fort fisher down at the beach. There are some private trail systems around but they are not stock friendly and require an invite.

Thanks!

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I may be running some mild trails in WNC later next month with another truck or two if you're interested

TarHeelPhil

Jun 12, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I may be running some mild trails in WNC later next month with another truck or two if you're interested

I may be. I just got my first Disco last weekend so I don't have many upgrades yet. I am looking for a used brush bar and light guards to get started but taking my time and trying to find the right one.

Anything you think I should get first to run some of those trails? Whereabouts are you thinking of going, Uwharrie?

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
I may be. I just got my first Disco last weekend so I don't have many upgrades yet. I am looking for a used brush bar and light guards to get started but taking my time and trying to find the right one.

Anything you think I should get first to run some of those trails? Whereabouts are you thinking of going, Uwharrie?

I'm not sure what trails he's talking about in Western NC. But for Uwharrie you won't need a brush bar or light guards. It's mostly rocks you'll be running into not branches and brush. You'll want to concentrate on under body protection. First priority should be proper recovery points, diff guards and HD Steering. Nothing will cut your trip short faster than a smashed front diff or bent steering. If you really plan to wheel you'll want rock sliders next.

Other helpful items are a winch, hi-lift and proper recovery gear.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I'm not sure what trails he's talking about in Western NC. But for Uwharrie you won't need a brush bar or light guards. It's mostly rocks you'll be running into not branches and brush. You'll want to concentrate on under body protection. First priority should be proper recovery points, diff guards and HD Steering. Nothing will cut your trip short faster than a smashed front diff or bent steering. If you really plan to wheel you'll want rock sliders next.

Other helpful items are a winch, hi-lift and proper recovery gear.

Totally agree with this. Plus catch the truck up on its maintenance. Concentrate on the cooling system and drive train. Rebuild or replace the front drive shaft, and change ALL the fluids.

There is a big LR event in the fall at Uwharrie. Usually the 3rd weekend in October. You should try and check it out.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Yep. Baseline the truck and catch up on the almost-certainly neglected preventative maintenance before you worry about adding any accessories.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama

None of the above, really. We'll just be riding some FS roads for the most part. Way south and west of Uwharrie toward the NC/SC border. May be a bit of a hike from Raleigh

ccollins

Jan 21, 2008
None of the above, really. We'll just be riding some FS roads for the most part. Way south and west of Uwharrie toward the NC/SC border. May be a bit of a hike from Raleigh

Any road names? I live here in the area you mentioned and I'm just curious. Maybe some hidden gems I'm not aware of.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Had in mind several trails in Gorges State Park/ Toxaway Gamelands and Musterground Road (Jocassee Gorges area). Need to make some calls to make sure the gates are open. From what I gather nothing incredibly challenging but figured it'd be a fun place to explore and higher elevation to escape some summertime heat

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
Howski did y'all go yet? Just got another discovery myself, always needing people to go trailing with. I live in Greenville also. So hard to find anything close that's not marked with 100 no trespassing signs and two gates.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Following up on my above mentioned trip - the trails were great for a stock Rover. Technical but not difficult enough you have to tear stuff up to get through. Think they would still be enjoyable in a lightly modded rig, the scenery alone is worth it. I believe there were about 22 miles of trail in total. I will be back once it cools off a bit.

I am also considering running Hurricane Creek in WNC the weekend of Aug 27 if any WNC, Upstate or East TN folks are interested

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Thinking about a WNC day trip on Jan 1st or 2nd if there's any takers. No plans yet but need to get out in the woods. Was thinking possibly Hurricane Creek

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
Thinking about a WNC day trip on Jan 1st or 2nd if there's any takers. No plans yet but need to get out in the woods. Was thinking possibly Hurricane Creek

How far away from Greenville is it? I'll be off that weekend and could possibly be up for a trip.