using a v-belt 3.9 in a serp belt truck

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
I sold a customer a 3.9 out of a 90 RRC with V belts. He is trying to install it in a 95 Disco with serp belts. I told him he would need to use his old front cover and a spacer. He was cool with that. I had that backwards, you have to use a spacer to put a serp belt engine in a v-belt truck. When he tried to put the front cover on the crank is 1-2 inches short and doesn't have a key way. Is there a work around for this? Is he (and by extension me) just screwed?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I don't know if it will work. Obviously the keyway slot will need to be lengthened and the key replaced with the correct type.

Is he using the 3.9 balancer, or a 4.0/4.6? 3.9 is bolt together and has timing marks, 4.0 is one piece no timing marks. The bore depth is deeper on the 3.9 for a shorter crankshaft.

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
We have done several vbelt to serpentine belt conversions here. Somewhere during the Vbelt lifespan there was indeed a change in the keyway on the crankshaft. I am pretty sure it was 93.... on a 93/94 the swap is straight forward... Before that date not so straight forward.

Last edited:

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
from How to Power Tune Rover V8 Engines
On these engines the crankshaft nose (sometimes referred to as the 'snout') was the same length as on all previous engines, but the key/keyway was longer. An early 3.5, 3.9 or 4.2-litre engine's crankshaft key was long enough to drive the new crank driven oil pump, but was not sufficiently long to also engage an 'interim' engine's crankshaft damper keyway

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
That was my experience during the conversion on a 4.2. I just needed to have the keyway lengthened and am using a longer key.