No power to fuel pump question.

toadermcgee

Sep 26, 2007
Newburgh, IN
This issue started after replacing fuel tank for frame restoration. Truck started fine and ran for about 10 miles then died like it was spark issue i.e. no stuppering or reduced power, just shut off. Got it back to the garage No power to the pump. The pump will run and the truck will start when 12v is applied directly to the pump. Have power to the fuse under the hood. Where do I need to look or another components need to be checked? Thanks for any help.
2001 D2

Some more details:

Unplugged and replugged the OBD pressure sensor on the top of the pump. Truck started. Could it be ancient aliens or I damaged it?

Ran it some more then it died just like before. This time it will not start even with 12v applied to the pump. Pump is running.

Last edited:

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Swap a relay around with the same type. They get flakey as they age and heat cycle. Have to do it on the P38 once in a while.

toadermcgee

Sep 26, 2007
Newburgh, IN
Swap a relay around with the same type. They get flakey as they age and heat cycle. Have to do it on the P38 once in a while.

I try this and it died after motor got to 143 degrees. Unless all of the relays are bad. Would the CPS work when cool and then fail when heated up? Or once failed failed for good?

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
That is one of the ways the CPS fails, gets hot and shuts down, works when cool. When mine went, I could drive 10 minutes when cold and then it would die. I let it cool for several hours and could drive another 10 minutes. I was 12 miles from home when it died and had to leave it over night, got it home the next morning.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
I don't think it would run when you put power to the fuel pump if it had a bad crank sensor.
If he did it while the CPS was cold it might, then after the CPS warmed up and failed I don't think it would either. Timing is everything. This could still be multiple problems...

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I agree the thing needs another crank sensor. And another in the glove box. And your right that the fuel pump will not run unless it sees CPS signal. The book will say it primes itself when the key is first turned on. Don't listen to that, it's fake info, alternate facts.

toadermcgee

Sep 26, 2007
Newburgh, IN
County fair was going on last week so I didn’t have a chance to replace CPS until Friday and a chance to test it out until tonight. After replacing said CPS I ran the truck around the yard for an hour and no problems. It appears it was the issue. Again all thanks for the help.