spinning ignition cylinder

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Tried to start my D1 this morning and the key spun in the ignition cylinder. I got it to work by pressing the key in a bit, which might have pinned the cylinder in place to create enough resistance for the key to turn the mechanism. I haven't dug into it yet but I presume there is some kind of fastener or clip that holds the cylinder in position that has broken, worn out, or come loose, allowing the whole mechanism to rotate inside the steering column. Any suggestions for how to address this? I'm out on an island for a long weekend with my truck and don't want to be that guy who can't start his car getting off the ferry. I do have my toolkit.

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
if you have the tool kit you can remove the electrical portion off the back of the cylinder... 2 small screws and you can start with flat head screw driver.

If you end up needing a replacement hit me up.

Will

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Thanks for the info, Will. What does removing the electrical portion accomplish? Should I be looking for loose hardware to put back in? Ideally there's a way to hold the current one in place, but if I can't figure it out I'll call you. On Monday, of course.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
The key does two things. It unlocks the mechanical lug that prevents the wheel from turning and it rotates the electrical switch Will is referring to to send power to the system and starter motor. Removing the electrical switch allows you to use a flat blade screwdriver to rotate the switch in lieu of a key. The mechanical lug will still need to disengage so you can steer. It sounds like that is already disengaged though. The only concern I'd have is if the cylinder somehow rotated while driving which would engage the lug preventing steering control. I'd talk to Will about a complete replacement that functions as intended.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Thanks for the additional explanation, that makes sense.

Will, I'll take a replacement setup. Please PM with price and I'll send PayPal pronto.