1995 Land Rover Discovery

lrnoob

Jul 30, 2018
Louisiana
***SOLD 1995 Land Rover Discovery

Selling my 1995 Land Rover Discovery. Sorry for the long post, but I like to give detail.

Runs and drives but needs some work. When I bought it, I was told it had a blown head gasket. She was not overheated in my ownership. However, upon tearing into it, the gaskets were not blown anywhere and no pistons were steam cleaned. All liners/sleeves were flush and in place.

Head gasket job was done nonetheless, as well as some other things, all in accordance with RAVE. However, it still blows white smoke out the exhaust. This may be residual coolant as I don't drive it often, but it's still there. I also sometimes get smoke coming off of the cats when it gets warmed up. I've also done a coolant bleed, but there is a still a bubble in the cooling system, so it will need another bleed.

Brakes are extremely spongy and will need a full bleed.

I replaced as much as I could afford when I was in there, as well as some other odds and ends. Aside from the white smoke, she has some electrical gremlins and things that don't work.

The following have been replaced, in accordance with the Rave manual:

New Head Gaskets
Heads were resurfaced by a machine shop. Valves were checked and were in working condition, so valve job was not needed.
New Water Pump
New Fan and Viscous Clutch
New Spark Plugs
New Valve Cover Gaskets
New Valley Pan Gasket
New Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
New Heater Hoses
New Thermostat and Gasket
New Oil Pump
New Timing Chain and Sprockets
New Camshaft
New Lifters (Tappets)
New Air Filter
New Brass Radiator Plug
New Coolant
New Muffler and Resonator
Oil Change, Filter, and Crush Washer
New Tail Light Assemblies and Bulbs
New Exhaust Manifold Gaskets and Bolts
New Battery
New Wipers Front and Rear
New Hood Release Cable

Here's the rundown:

THE GOOD:

The frame is absolutely rust free
Engine runs smoothly
Transmission shifts fine
Transfer case works great. No hangup between 4 high and low.
Center differential lock engages and disengages....no cable seize.
Body is straight
Carfax is available for it.
Windows and sunroofs work (though slowly, so new motors may be needed in the future)
Sunroofs do not leak
Headliner does not sag
Full sized spare tire and ladder

THE BAD:

As said above, white smoke out the exhaust even after HG.
Radiator works but it could use a new one
Needs new brakes, brake bleed, and brake servo vacuum line
Cooling fan runs all the time
AC blows but not cold. The rear AC also blows but not cold
Front seats are ripped.
Radio is not connected. Antenna is broken.
Front driver's door doesn't open from the outside. It does from the inside.
Rear driver's side door has a dent on the outside, and the window is cracked at the bottom. Does not leak.
Rear hatch key housing is cracked but works
Has 1 bald tire. The other 3 are in good shape.
Speedometer housing is loose, and speedo and tach aren't working after the HG replacement, but were before.
Tail light assemblies are brand new, but the turn signals in them aren't working. High mount brake light isn't working either, but the rest of the rear lights do work
In hard rain, there is some leaking into the passenger foot well from the top of the A pillar
Some cracks in the center panel of the dash, and some other missing/broken trim pieces
Headlight washers were broken and hose cracked. Windshield washer fluid container is in good shape but will need to be blocked off to prevent leaking out of that hose hole.
Small leak from the power steering pump

Title is clean and clear and in my name. Mileage is 128,151. Car has spent its life in Florida, aside from a small time in Virginia and now Louisiana. NO RUST!

I also have the factory steel brush guard that is included, but it is off of the Rover now. All of the parts, tools, and fluids inside the rear hatch come with the Disco.

It can be driven a short distance, but towing it out would probably be the safest option until the cause of the smoke can be determined and the brakes bled.

Asking $2000 but open to offers. Located in Covington, Louisiana, about 45 minutes from New Orleans. If you'd like any more pics or information, please send me a message.

Last edited:

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Nice looking truck, overall! The fact that it's so rust free make it very appealing. I'd sang that thing in a heartbeat if I were in a position to buy.

lrnoob

Jul 30, 2018
Louisiana
Thank you, Agent! I honestly can't find any rust on it at all.

Moving out of state, and along with my lack of electrical work experience, I think it would make a great car for someone a bit more knowledgeable than myself.

lrnoob

Jul 30, 2018
Louisiana
Just wanted to update this. Got the bubble in the coolant out. Within a few minutes, no more white smoke out the exhaust, nor any more smoke off the cats! Temps in the 180s and holding steady.

Biggest thing left is the brake bleed, but going through a house move and will need to tackle that afterwards.