Camaro steelies on a DII... Anyone?

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
They wouldn't be my first choice either but with the options available......

I'll rock them!! :rockon:

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
Hmmm... They look just like Nato's. A few more holes maybe but very similar.

Attachments

• Nato Steelie.jpg
    Nato Steelie.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 227
A

Angel of Death

I can't imagine very many 4th-generation Camaro/Firebirds coming with factory steel wheels.

How easy/hard are these to find?

MyR1isFun

Dec 14, 2005
Dublin, Ca.
I believe the S10 and Camaro have the same bolt pattern. 5x120.65(4 3/4") on 12mm studs. I ordered a set of rockcrawler wheels 16x7 w/5.5 inch backspacing for an S10, but when I tryed to fit them they were too snug around the studs, it was close but not quite right. I guess drilling them out would help them fit over the Discos 14mm studs. I didnt bother.

Look forward to finding out how these steelies work for you or if you need to drill them out to get them to work.

D

discokid99

slcroverguy said:
They wouldn't be my first choice either but with the options available......

I'll rock them!! :rockon:

valid point...def not to many options for D2 owners unless you want to go custom and pay the $$$$....

Greg Davis

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The V6 Camaros came with the steelies. I ran the alloys, and no I didn't bend or break them. And believe me, they took a POUNDING during my Moab trip in '04. If you go with the alloys, you'll need smaller diameter lug nuts, which are available at NAPA, etc. Can't remeber the size, but it's the same as H2's.:)

skippy3k

Aug 15, 2005
Northern California
slcroverguy said:
Hmmm... They look just like Nato's. A few more holes maybe but very similar.

I agree. I think they've got 2 more holes than the Nato's, but other than that they are pretty close. When they are covered in mud, they look exactly like them!

As for availability, I got mine here on Discoweb, but I know you can get them online pretty much anywhere. Summit Racing might have them. I know I saw some at www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com.

Scott

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
Greg Davis said:
The V6 Camaros came with the steelies. I ran the alloys, and no I didn't bend or break them. And believe me, they took a POUNDING during my Moab trip in '04. If you go with the alloys, you'll need smaller diameter lug nuts, which are available at NAPA, etc. Can't remeber the size, but it's the same as H2's.:)

Greg did you have a specific backspacing with those wheels? I was talking to Marc and he had a concern about 265's rubbing on the inside with the camaro steelies. I believe they only come in one size/ backspacing.

Just curious if your were the stock camaro backspacing and what you were running then, tires.

Greg Davis

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, the alloys are 9" wide, and I was running 315's which worked well. After measuring, I think the alloys had .25" additional backspacing because of the width. From what I've heard, the steelies have an almost identical-to-stock 6.5" of backspacing.

skippy3k

Aug 15, 2005
Northern California
Greg Davis said:
From what I've heard, the steelies have an almost identical-to-stock 6.5" of backspacing.

'Tis true. Backspacing and bolt pattern is identical to stock. Bore fits too. Width is .5" wider than the 7" than most people look for to improve tire choices.

Scott

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
I found a local wheel shop and they actually gave me the one they had for free. I mounted it and it fit perfectly. So, I'll post pics once my other 4 come in.

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
You're about 2 years too late. I didn't get the other 4 stealies and the truck is sold as of last Monday ;)

trailhogg

Feb 26, 2005
Hermitage Pennsylvania
i know the truck is gone and you didnt end up buying the wheels, but what is/was the deal?

will the camaro wheels fit no problem?

how much were they going to cost?

where from?

benlittle

Jul 18, 2005
Draper
trailhogg said:
i know the truck is gone and you didnt end up buying the wheels, but what is/was the deal?

will the camaro wheels fit no problem?

how much were they going to cost?

where from?

Yes they will fit, no problem.

I was getting them from an online wheel yard in Texas.

I believe they were about 25-30 each. I decided they looked like shit.

If you don't want your DII to look like a jeep, go with a 15in Crager wheel from Jegs. IMO the backspacing you can get in a 16in wheel from pro comp is too much for the DII and you'll experience rubbing.

A 15in WILL clear and you can get a little better backspacing using a 7in wheel and ending with about 1.5in out of stock on the outside. Meaning, you'll end up with wheels that stick out approx 1.5in further from stock. What I found is with a 15in wheel you can run 33x10.50's which are waay cheaper than the equivilant 285/75. You'll also gain a little sidewall. Part 260-3975734 at Jegs.

You can run the same 16x7 wheel though and get 285/75's....260-3977734 at Jegs.

Either way, you'll also enhance your turning radius. Or order custom backspacing from 4wheelparts and wait 2 months. Also, 4WheelParts is Pro Comp.

Jet_Gorilla

Jul 8, 2006
The camaro wheels are soft. If you load put any side load on them they will probably bend. Example: running on top of a rut and sliding into it.

They just aren't beefy enough for the wight of a D. I was given eight of them and they ALL ended up being bent sideways.

I have Pro-Comps and they have been beat to hell and back again suffering immense and horrific abuse and only one of them has a small dent by the bead.

That's 70k of hard off-road use.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Bringing a real old thread back from the dead to see if anyone on here runs these. I need to get 16’s anyway so figured I would look into them. I’m planning on going with a 235/85 so I do like the .5” less of width these offer over OE alloys. Any input or photos of these on a D2?