Uwharrie Rover Expedition 2017 - Is it happening?

mlnnc

Mar 23, 2008
Charlotte
I'm looking for information about URE for this fall. There's no info at the Old North State Land Rover Society Facebook page, which seems to be the only ONS presence online these days. I messaged via Facebook asking the question but have had no response.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I'm looking for information about URE for this fall. There's no info at the Old North State Land Rover Society Facebook page, which seems to be the only ONS presence online these days. I messaged via Facebook asking the question but have had no response.

If I remember correctly, URE is the weekend of Oct13th this year.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Someone posted the dates for this years event in the WNC land rover page a while back. Havent heard anything recently from any of the club leaders..

mlnnc

Mar 23, 2008
Charlotte
Okay, I finally found the dates in the Community page. Nothing is posted in the Events page nor nor on the Home page.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Yeah I'll haul my shit out there again. But I want to see some old school representation: Chapman, Walter, Jeff: let's do this.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Wow. Just read the new restrictions. I'll have to pass :(
Not much fun with forest service on the loose policing not vehicles, but camp sites. And no camp fires?...

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Where did you read that??

It's on the email that went out last night. It's not actually no camp fires, but rather that you can only have a fire in one of 6 designated fire pits. Which is essentially the same thing when you consider 100+ people there.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
It's on the email that went out last night. It's not actually no camp fires, but rather that you can only have a fire in one of 6 designated fire pits. Which is essentially the same thing when you consider 100+ people there.

Hmm.. I thought I was on their mailer... guess not.
Yeah we had the same issue in the spring. Which is why we ( CROC) are moving next years Safari to another camping location. It will still be in Uwharrie, but on private land that can accommodate the large crowds we get.

The forest service is on a tear, trying to crack down on alcohol consumption in the park so they are being dicks about everything..

If I do attend URE this year I wont be camping at the group camp.. Id rather camp on the trail and just come by for the raffle and dinner. That site is way too small to try and fit 100+ people and trucks.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Just to be clear, I think the world of Steven and Dan, and I get the "why". Just kinda sucks that this great event is going to fucked with. I mostly wheel with non-Rovers, but it's nice once or twice a year to get together with Rover guys, check out the trucks, and hang out.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
The forest service is on a tear, trying to crack down on alcohol consumption in the park so they are being dicks about everything..

I get ramped up enforcement of no alcohol on the trails, but why do they care if there's alcohol at a camp site? Why not just crack down on yahooism rather than guys who want to sit around and drink a few beers by the camp fire at night?

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I get ramped up enforcement of no alcohol on the trails, but why do they care if there's alcohol at a camp site? Why not just crack down on yahooism rather than guys who want to sit around and drink a few beers by the camp fire at night?

Im with you on that..

Next years Safari should be a welcome change to the small campgrounds and the issue with drinking at camp. Not sure if ONSLS will make a change next year or not, but CROC plans on growing our event, while ONSLS seems they want to make it a smaller event. ( Im assuming that since they waited so long to release any info)

jgdisco2

Feb 24, 2006
Goldsboro, NC
Croc sadly becoming less of a "rover" event because there's so many jeeps, I appreciate old north state for keeping it smaller and a "rover" event.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I did notice a lot of non-Rovers in the spring although the fall had some as well. Still had a good time. Glad another spot is being looked at for the Safari because having USFS prowling the campsite busting people for having a beer at the campfire was not pleasant

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
To the OP, yes URE!14 is happening. It will be October 13-15. Registration is live at onslrs.org.

Ken, you've not been getting any emails from me??? Send me an email to oldnorthstate@gmail.com to put you back on the list.

Yes, they are strictly enforcing some rules that were already in place. It also seems they are making new ones as they go. The Badin Lake Group Camp holds a special place in our hearts as we have been hosting events there since the '90s. We too may change it up after this year. However, the Training Center has some strict rules too.... especially in regards to camp fires. We almost had URE!7 there during the Government shutdown. We will see though.

I will start another thread for the event with some details.

Best regards,
-Steven

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, Steven.

I know what a bitch it is to put on an event and I appreciate what you all have to go through.