Greg Davis Rear Bumper Feedback?

Discokayaker

Apr 23, 2004
Danville, CA
I think I am ready to order a new rear bumper. I need a bumper that will protect my rear quarter panels, provide better departure angle and still retain a Class III receiver. At this point, I am leaning towards the Greg Davis bumper thanks to the recommendations I have read on this site. My question is, after prolonged use/abuse how has this bumper held up? Do the quarter panel sliders do a good job of protecting the quarter panels? Are they able to take a significant hit? Any feedback both positive and negative is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance

D

Disco Mike

Rear Bumper

Lance,
If you are interested in a bumper that will protect your Dt. panels, e-mail me and I will send you some pictures of mine.
Mike

Joe Cole

Apr 20, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
Lance,

I have Greg's bumper and it is a great design and very high quality. It stans up to some pretty tough abouse and I have not encounterd any issues. Highly rccomend it for all the reasons you pointed out. For a DII, not a better option from my experience. Trimming the quarters requires some dilberate planning and contemplation before you cut, but everything else is straight forward. Good luck with your decission!

noee

Apr 20, 2004
Free Union, VA
I've got one too, I've had it for a while and have abused it offroad as well as towed quite a bit with it. No problems to report so far and it has done the job very well.

Installation is tricky unless you have a helper, as with any bumper, but was generally very simple. Cutting can be stressful if you've never cut your truck before. Take your time, measure a few times and it pays off. The fit is perfect except my D2 only had two bolts in the frame horns (later models apparently have 4), so I had to drill a couple of extra holes in the horns for the frame mount.

I finished mine with rattle can primer/rustoleum, flat and it looks fine. IMO, this is the best looking rear bumper for the D2. If you have a high approach front bar it gives the truck a nice symmetrical front-to-rear profile.

Have fun,
Mike

Attachments

• 255.JPG
    255.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,099

Discokayaker

Apr 23, 2004
Danville, CA
Thaks for the feedback. Pretty much confirms what I have heard regarding Greg's bumper. I don't know how stressful the cutting will be since both of my lower quarter panels are currently caved in :)

Lance

Randy

Apr 20, 2004
Easton, Pa.
I too have Greg Davis rear bumper. I installed it without a helper, but used a number of jacks. I ground the whole bumper to base metal, applied 2 coats of rustoleum primer and then 3 coats of semi-gloss black. As Mike and Joe have stated the quarter cutting is a bit tough. I had some hole alignment issues which required enlarging the holes in the frame horn, but I think that was more of a Land Rover issue than a Greg Davis issue. I have zero regrets with my choice,

S

Steve83

Powdercoating is the best, and comes in a WIDE variety of colors & finishes. You should be able to find someone nearby to do it, but if not, check shipping prices. I know a guy who runs an industrial powdercoating plant and he'll do a bumper for ~$200 depending on color & size.

Jamooche

Apr 20, 2004
Boston
www.jamilabbasy.com
I agree that the Greg Davis bumper is the best. Here are some good photos of its clearance:

http://www.pbase.com/jamooche/mabell_april

It also saved me 2 weeks ago when a Boston cabbie smashed into my left rear when I was at a red light. The hit destroyed the entire side of the car's body panels. It only scuffed my paint.

I also recommend painting with Rustoleum furniture paint Satin Black over powdercoating. I taped off the bumper last week and repainted it. Looks brand new again.

Jamil

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Another optional coating is POR15. That stuff dries rock hard, no more rust and accepts top coats for color needs. I spilt some on the garage floor and attempts to remove only left holes, the concrete underneath gave way before the coating would.
My entire truck inside is painted with POR15 due to spot-rusting on the floors.
I doubt anything else will hold up better.

mikeyb

Jun 18, 2004
Dallas
dont worry, cutting the sheet metal on your truck makes you feel like a man... :D

i have been a big fan of the davis bumper since i installed mine.

good luck with the cuts. take your time and measure 2 or 3 times...

mike

Grant

Jul 28, 2004
Oakville Ontario
info on Greg Davis bumper

I ,too, would like some info on this bumper, please.
the Bumper in the new photos section looks good too!!
My thoughts are too get this streamlined bumber and attach a swing arm on a heavy duty hinge. Attached to this would be a spare tire mount, and a hilift mount, and a jerry can holder. Seen some jeepers with this set up, looks good!! laso takes some weight off of the rear door. thoughts? ideas?

tehamarx

Apr 20, 2004
red bluff, CA
To those that already have the Greg Davis bumper:
Did any of you install/cut into the bumper, holes for lights?
How/where did you get it done?
I'd like to reinstall the stock lights and bumper guard.

TIA

Rupert J

texmotoII

Jul 16, 2004
Fort Worth, Texas
I installed 2" round lights in my Greg Davis bumper. I had a local welding shop cut the holes, but you could do it youself with a sharp hole saw. I just didn't want to hassle with it. I got the lights from a wrecker supply company; I think it was about $30 for all four (2 red and 2 amber). IMHO, I think the bumper looks much better with the lights installed.

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
OFF Topic of bumpers and steel and being a "MAN" :) Mikey ..Long time no talk. Hey we are going to be in Dallas next weekend (sept the 17-20th)..I am stopping in Dallas to pick up some Rover goods then off to Austin. But maybe if you guys in Dallas do not have plans we could go wheeling Saturday?? Shoot me an email and let me know. As I am not sure where to go wheeling in the DFW AREA. Melissa N
aka roverchic@cox.net