Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
A-Z is recommending "You may need to slice the front face of the bumper and have the spindle half in and half out. We have done that before with good results."

Seems like a smart move.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
A-Z is recommending "You may need to slice the front face of the bumper and have the spindle half in and half out. We have done that before with good results."

Seems like a smart move.

Sounds like what I suggested 3 weeks ago

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Seems pretty cool, would love to have my spare mounted face-in almost directly on the door rather than cantilevered out on the mount.

On the other hand, people buy reverse mounts so they can have the matching dub facing outwards. LOL

http://911motorsports.net/Mercedes-...990-2018-G-Class-G500550556365-W463_p_39.html

Im running offset aftermarket wheels so there is no benefit to flipping the wheel. Id imagine most people running a wheel tire combo heavy enough to damage the door hinges are also running offset wheels

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
The point is that the heavier face of the rim is closer in if it's mounted (what we would call) backwards. It wouldn't make a difference if the face of the rim was exactly in the center of the rim in cross section but it is not.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
The point is that the heavier face of the rim is closer in if it's mounted (what we would call) backwards. It wouldn't make a difference if the face of the rim was exactly in the center of the rim in cross section but it is not.

The difference is about the same as having 1 additional beer in the cooler directly above the rear axle

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Small update here

Parts are all ordered. Going for a pretty simple and traditional setup:

Spindle from AZ fabrication
Spring pin (for locking the carrier open - welded to spindle sleeve) https://www.mcmaster.com/#91712a119/=1c24bxt
Toggle clamp (had to get the 1000lbs version, as the u-bolt on the 2000lb version are too long) https://www.mcmaster.com/#5135a42/=1c24cah
Steel disc (will weld to the bumper, and the spring pin will lock into this) - https://www.mcmaster.com/#7786t62/=1c24cmb
Old wheel hub to use for the wheel mount (installed a new wheel hub today).. need to press the bearing assembly off, leaving just the plate

The best, and simplest latch design for the GD bumper I think is going to be a "corner bracket / hollow gusset", which serves multiple purposes: elevated area for the carrier to rest on, taking weight off the spindle, rear bumper to stop forward movement, and a right angle toggle clamp mounted on the carrier, with the hook on the outside of the corner bracket.

Here's a terrible drawing. The reason for the rectangular mount is so a table will fit on the backside nicely. Considering the wheel hub will be 4-6" away from this, do you think there will be any supports needed?
Once the spindle arrives I'll take the hardware to a local welder

JohnHZ3

Dec 4, 2016
Pasadena CA
I have been planning on doing this for a few years and finally got around to it thanks in part to this thread. The rear door was already damaged prior to my ownership and was difficult to close. The tire is 315/75R16 which is obviously way too heavy to be mounted to the door. I looked into all the parts offered for sale but decided none were exactly what I wanted. I liked the bushings of the Iron Pig spindle and the dual shear bracket of the Comp 4x4 version. I also liked the idea of a sleeve welded into the bumper rather than welding the spindle in place. This will allow for easy replacement or removal of the spindle in the unlikely event in gets damaged.

After measuring numerous times I drilled through the top and bottom of the bumper using a 2" hole saw. Then using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel I connected the two circular cuts. A piece of 2" OD 1-1/2" ID tubing was tack welded as squarely as possible into the cutout. The hinge pin is 1-1/2" diameter steel. The carrier pivot is 2-1/4" OD 1-3/4" ID tubing with bronze bushings inserted (which were removed and replaced with new ones after welding). The frame is constructed of 3" x 1-1/2" (1/8 wall) tubing and 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" (1/8 wall) tubing. I added a dual-shear bracket to the pivot point to increase the rigidity. I modified and reused the mounting bracket which had been installed on the door for the rim mounting. After welding and mounting the carrier frame, I was disappointed by the amount of flex/bounce with the tire installed. All the flex was in the bumper itself and not the carrier or hinge. I ended up making an additional bracket, which mounts in the stock location on the door, to anchor the carrier to the door. It also doubles as the antennae mount. All the weight is still on the bumper. Everywhere a structural bolt mounts to the bumper I installed a rivet nut insert for added strength and grade 8 hardware was used. I am pleased with the appearance and strength. Having to loosen 3 screw-in handles is a bit cumbersome to open the carrier but ultimately I decided it was more important to have it securely attached.

Last edited:

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
There is a guy on eBay selling spare mounting discs with three wheel studs. I think I saw both D1 and D2 bolt circle diameters too. This would let you ditch the hub, and some thinkness/weight.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Doneee. Dropped by the welder at 8am, and by 5pm 3 guys finished the job. Everything is real solid, simple, and effective. Unfortunately the front runner table I bought was not going to fit unless I either deleted the wiper or had the carrier stick out 2", neither were a good option. Then I realized that this front runner table is overkill anyway, all I need is a simple sheet of aluminum on a piano hinge and some straps to hold the stove.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Drivers side swing and you still favored the passenger side for actually mounting the tire. Hmmmmm

Last edited: