Door Frame Rust Repair

mhardt

Jan 24, 2018
New York
I am repairing a 2004 Discovery 2 and found some rust in the footwell on the driver side (see attached photo). I have ground everything down and found that 90% will be easy to treat and seal. The issue is the other 10%. The area where the A column meets the floor and the sill (see attached photo). Is ther an easy fix or best way to approach thsi area? I haven't found anything out there. Any assiatance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Man, those pictures bring back memories from when I lived in the rust belt. The correct fix would be to cut out all the affected metal (cuttin ~1/4" into good material) and weld in a new patch. To be honest, I'd grind it down, coat it with some POR 15, and call it a day. It's not that bad. If you're having trouble getting the door seal to stay in place, I'd rivet some fresh sheet in place to do the job.

mhardt

Jan 24, 2018
New York
Thank you for the feedback. I had thought about just cleaning and coating the area, but as you noted there is a developing issue with the door closing properly. My question becomes, what is the downside of just rivieting in some sheet metal? the whole area is covered so there is no cosmetic exposure.

Maybe these things http://www.froggatts.co.uk/page34.html are unsense to do, but there are parts available to reair it as new by welding.
Front sunroof drain hoses run inside each "A" pillar and they end approx 12cm over sill level. You can see, most rust was produced by dirt blocking "A" pillar drain hole. It is important to check these small holes and air conditioning drain tubes in order to avoid floods

Regards

Contractor

Mar 27, 2015
The South
YRM makes replacement pillars and Sill pieces to fix that. I just ordered a pile of stuff to fix my project from them. I don’t think the replacement pillars are quite tall enough to correct all the rotten door seal strip, but that would be easy enough to figure out.

Personally, I hate knowing rust is present and I’m OCD enough that the POR would not satisfy my itch for being “fixed”. It’s up to you though, it is very easy to get caught up with ship fitters disease.

mhardt

Jan 24, 2018
New York
Thank you for the feedback. I looked at Froggatts and was hopeful that it was going to be the answer. They have a great exterior face replacement, but not the actual sill lip that holds the door weatherstrip; the 'L' channel that sets on the floor.