Reliability: Gen 1 Range Rover Sport or Gen 3 Range Rover

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
I know this is a predominately Discovery board...but it's also a great general Land Rover resource. I hate to say I'd trust the opinions here more than other Rover boards.

My D2's are getting a little long in the tooth. The maintenance is becoming more of an issue all the time. When my busy work schedule, I don't have the time to wrench like I did in the past.

I've been Land Rover loyal for 20 years. But I can't afford to buy a new vehicle. So I'm in the market for a used Rover. Are the Gen 1 Range Rover Sports reliable? I know they are basically an LR3/4 with a different skin. What about the later 3rd generation Range Rover? Both of those could possibly fit into my tight budget (never should have bought my wife that 2017 Lincoln MKZ last year:eek:)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
You asked about L322.

That is correct. Read the original post again. You appear to have missed or ignored this:

Lake_Bueller said:
What about the later 3rd generation Range Rover?

You know that L322 = 3rd generation RR. Therefore it is, as I observed, a similar question, if not the same question phrased differently.

gimebakmybulits

Dec 11, 2013
Pasadena
I love my 2011 RRS, as a bonus it came with the 7 year 100k warranty and the price was right. With the top mounted oil filter and a vacuum extractor it's the easiest oil change I've ever done. My only complaint is how prominent the wires for the heated windshield are. I do worry about the timing chain guide issue but the warranty is good through the end of 2020.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Am I the only one who thinks of a First Gen Range Rover Sport as a SWB '94 or '95 RRC with 3.9 and EAS?

According to the VIN and specs on my 1993 SWB, that is the first Range Rover County Sport. From a driving standpoint there is nothing sporty about it.

From rangerovers.net, for what it's worth:

County Sport:
Priced at $1,900 above the base SWB model the "County Sport" was introduced mid way through the model year. There were approx. 200 of the limited edition model that came with Electric Air Suspension (EAS) and silver "Sparkle Silver Finish" TWR five spoke wheels (the same wheel as all the 1994 and 1995 SWB Range Rovers). The wheels had lug nuts with shiny stainless steel caps. Most were Beluga Black, but some were Aegean Blue. Many (possibly all) had a brush bar on the front and lamp guards over the rear lights. The County Sport was the first SWB Range Rover to have the EAS, and the only SWB model with EAS in 1993 (In 1994 and 1995 all Range Rovers sold in the U.S. had EAS).