DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
I think this is correct, but I think the real fucking BMW handed us was about a year or so later than you stated. As I remember it the nose cone with the center diff lock was present but not hooked up to anything until later. When they spent money to make a new front output housing without a lever for a diff lock it was just a big fuck you.

But as far as full time 4 wheel drive as apposition to all wheel drive comes down to the 2 speed transfer case. If you only have one speed t case it's AWD.

There is no good reason to lock a steering axle on a truck you plan to drive on the street. Unless your really good at replacing axles and body panels.
I just don't see how that saved them money. It seems more like removing a point of user error to prevent complaints.

It does come across as a bit of a "fuck you", in that respect. There's no real business case for the removal unless some piece of data has been lost that illustrated an intent.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Member Trucks
I appreciate everyone's input and patience. I think I will upgrade the transfer case first and when I can, I'll upgrade the front and rear diffs. I plan on keeping this Disco for a very long time. I want to make it as capable as I can afford to make it for my purposes. Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Member Trucks
Get your transfer case lockable and you'll probably find that you don't need locking diffs front & rear. At least that was the case for me. I had an ARB locker in the rear diff of my old 1996 D1 and I fully planned on installing an ARB rear in my 2004 D2. I went so far as to install the ARB compressor in the rear cargo area. Then I realized how effective traction control on these things really is.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Get your transfer case lockable and you'll probably find that you don't need locking diffs front & rear. At least that was the case for me. I had an ARB locker in the rear diff of my old 1996 D1 and I fully planned on installing an ARB rear in my 2004 D2. I went so far as to install the ARB compressor in the rear cargo area. Then I realized how effective traction control on these things really is.
this^^.

down at the family farm i have never gotten stuck anywhere, while the F250's with locking front hubs all have.

i know it's not an apples to apples comparison with the F250's having such a long wheel base, but i watched my dad bury the front tires in both loose gravel and mud several times.

i've been really happy with the locked center diff and traction control of the '04 D2.
2004 discovery SE