DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 02-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Still Junior

Member Trucks
On my ?97 D1, the front LH window has worked fine until recently. When I push on the switch, I can hear the sound of the motor - not just a click, but actually working. The window is stuck up [happily] and does not move. The RH side window goes up and down normally.

I?ve experienced the issue recently but as we?ve had dramatic changes in temperature and weather, I?ve attributed it to icing holding the window in place. Today it?s around 40 degrees and I?m still experiencing the same issue on the driver?s side door. I can hear, but not see or feel, something working in the door.

Before I begin disassembling the door, what do you more experienced Discovery owners think that I?m up against?

Thanks,

Jeff
'66 Series II-A 88" SW
'97 Discovery 1 SE7
Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Member Trucks
Jeff you need a regulator. Pick up some panel clips and gorilla glue before you start fixing it. Some clips will break and some will pull out chunks of the foam
Old 02-04-2018, 02:52 PM

One of the weak points in the regulator is a nylon disc that can break after years of rolling up and down, rendering the regulator useless. Chances are good that this is your problem, but you won't know for sure until you inspect it visually. There are threads on here where guys have manufactured replacement discs from metal washers as a "fix it forever" approach. You can also just buy a replacement regulator, they aren't expensive.

I just had my door apart yesterday replacing the tiny spring in the lock mechanism that broke after 20 years. Disassembling the door to access the interior workings isn't hard, it just takes some patience and finesse. If you haven't done it before, Here is a link to a walk-through which shows how to remove the interior door panel. The author suggests a flathead screwdriver but I find a $5 panel separator tool does the job better and helps avoid snapping the plastic "pine tree" trim pieces that hold the panel in place. I also take pictures of the assembly as I go so I can figure out how to put everything back together.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 02-04-2018, 08:28 PM

https://discoweb.org/showthread.php?t=95718
Old 02-09-2018, 02:19 PM

Member Trucks
This old Discoweb Site will help You.

https://discoweb.org/oldsite/rearwin...ator/index.htm

My suggested wheel change method is: With small grinder wear pin-shaft riveting. Then put lever in the groove of the walrus and hit it to remove shaft from lever.
Put lever, which will be dented, on a flat surface and flatten with hammer
New wheel: buy grilon raw material in cylinder. Make a copy with grilon using a drill. (Slice with hole fastened with a bolt and nut as shaft in drill). It can be formed easily in the drill with a saw blade.
Put the new wheel on the shaft pin and re-rivet it.
Grease and go. Grilon lasts infinitely more than original wheel molded in polyamide.

Regards
Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Still Junior

Member Trucks
Thanks for the links and procedures, everyone.

I purchased a used window regulator and motor from Paul Grant (living on an island, you want to part on hand) and then removed the door panel. I found that the regulator needed a boost up as the motor was activisted, and it worked fine. Activating it a few times demonstrated that the regulator was intact [wheels were not broken] BUT when the window retracted automatically to its lowest level, that’s when it would not elevate. It’s possible that a gear tooth on the motor is chipped such that it can’t catch the similar tooth on the half-moon shaped gear of the regulator. (The plastic stop is in place.)

I lubricated everything on the tracks and replaced the door panel. I’m trying to remember to lower the window by bumping the switch instead of letting it retract automatically .

Jeff
'66 Series II-A 88" SW
'97 Discovery 1 SE7
Old 02-13-2018, 06:03 PM

Member Trucks
A disco friend has assured this bottom end with a piece of wood inside door panel... Not so beautiful but effective, haha!
Regards
Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
What he said.