Roof Racks?

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
Got a fabricator that can make anything I want.
Thinking about either a SD style rack and remove the carrybars,
Or a half rack and keep them.

Have a height limitation of 6' 8" fwiw.
Any pics of your racks for inspiration?

Thx

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
Mostly posing ;)
I reckon I'll be able to take my son camping twice a year.
Our low garage height prohibits any long term stacking of kit.

Always wanted a rack, and had a full length ARB on it circa 2002?
And was able to keep it outside, but now that's changed.

Leaning towards a flat half rack with a mesh floor and removable
sides at the moment

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Half rack with mesh, wouldn't worry about the sides-just put down tie downs or s track and then get a cargo net if you are throwing soft stuff up there that needs to be contained.

Could be nice and low profile.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
You still haven't said what you plan on using it for now. You should probably figure that out then build a rack that works.

Mostly posing ;)
I reckon I'll be able to take my son camping twice a year.
Our low garage height prohibits any long term stacking of kit.

Always wanted a rack, and had a full length ARB on it circa 2002?
And was able to keep it outside, but now that's changed.

Leaning towards a flat half rack with a mesh floor and removable
sides at the moment

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
Good point. I'm going to measure what would actually live up there
And design from there.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Copy the simple KVT Backpack Rack. Basically the rear half (or less than half) of the SD rack without sides. I barely notice it up on my roof and it's very convenient to throw Pelicans or whatever up there and just strap it down. You don't really need the sides at all. What are the sides really for? As if you're going to just loosely throw shit up there and hope the sides keep it from falling off as you drive? And I had a genuine SD low-profile rack on my D1....I know what I'm talking about.

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
Copy the simple KVT Backpack Rack. Basically the rear half (or less than half) of the SD rack without sides. I barely notice it up on my roof and it's very convenient to throw Pelicans or whatever up there and just strap it down. You don't really need the sides at all. What are the sides really for? As if you're going to just loosely throw shit up there and hope the sides keep it from falling off as you drive? And I had a genuine SD low-profile rack on my D1....I know what I'm talking about.

Ah the back pack rack!!
I remember those.
I think we have a winner :)
Thx Blue

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Got a fabricator that can make anything I want.
Thinking about either a SD style rack and remove the carrybars,
Or a half rack and keep them.

Have a height limitation of 6' 8" fwiw.
Any pics of your racks for inspiration?

Thx

I believe my DII is sitting at 7 feet 8 inches or thereabouts with the SD high rack and the OME springs. Not sure about the taller ones. I can't check right now, though. Regardless, it's not going to fit under that limit you described.

Racks are so much more than posing. Put a floor on one, and your vehicle will be able to hold a much more cool interior with a lot less effort than otherwise. You'll feel like you have a real air conditioner for once.

That is the ONLY reason I keep that rack on all the time around town and such. When I take the vehicle out, I'll commonly remove it just to get that weight off the roof. So, there's actually a very useful reason to have the rack, and that's comfort.

As such, I would suggest trying for a full length rack. You won't regret it at all if you give it a floor.

Cheers,

Kennith