Disco 5: Let the depression set in

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
That's the way it was when I lived in Atlanta. I would wave at them as a fellow Land Rover owner and the women would look at me like I was crazed perv. I got flipped off a few times too.:eek:

Just moved back to ATL. Let me tell you, shit has changed. I get waves ALL THE TIME from other Rover owners. Just the other day an LR4 gave me the wave as we passed each other while I was driving my D1. I had to laugh but it felt pretty good.

Every other SUV here is a LR. My wife said the other day, its like we are with our people ��

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Just got back in town from a two week 2500 mile trip in the D5 diesel - average fuel mileage for the trip was 27.64 mpg which had a fair mix of highway cruising and driving around in the back roads of New York, Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Best single tank average was 31.02 mpg - worst was 24.41 mpg. We snuck up on a lot of wildlife because the diesel is so quiet. It was comfortable enough for a 12 hour day behind the wheel and handles significantly better than my LR3 did. I also used it a couple of weeks ago to tow a friends 23' wooden boat to Beaufort, SC with a combined weight of boat and trailer of around 3000 lbs. We got 23.5 mpg going down with the boat in tow and 30.5 mpg coming back without the trailer. Whatever else you may think about these they are great road trip vehicles with a range of over 500 miles on a single tank (my best so far is 545 miles on 19 gallons).

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
I just can't get past the looks. My wife's Ford Galaxy gets 44-53 mpg depending on who is and how they are driving. It has the exact same interior space at 83 cubic feet with all the seats folded down. It's just not pretending to be something it is not. My best was 800.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
My wife's Ford Galaxy gets 53 mpg.

Not this thing? I thought those got 53 gallons to the mile.

65ford64971-1.jpg

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
More like this. It's actually the new Defender. At least they put 16s on it.

I wish they had done diesel in the 3 or 4. I just can't stand the look of the 5.

Last edited:

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Just got back in town from a two week 2500 mile trip in the D5 diesel - average fuel mileage for the trip was 27.64 mpg which had a fair mix of highway cruising and driving around in the back roads of New York, Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Best single tank average was 31.02 mpg - worst was 24.41 mpg. We snuck up on a lot of wildlife because the diesel is so quiet. It was comfortable enough for a 12 hour day behind the wheel and handles significantly better than my LR3 did. I also used it a couple of weeks ago to tow a friends 23' wooden boat to Beaufort, SC with a combined weight of boat and trailer of around 3000 lbs. We got 23.5 mpg going down with the boat in tow and 30.5 mpg coming back without the trailer. Whatever else you may think about these they are great road trip vehicles with a range of over 500 miles on a single tank (my best so far is 545 miles on 19 gallons).

Your posts about this truck are giving me hope. :)

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Your posts about this truck are giving me hope. :)

I'm hoping the new Defender will be a little more squared off with a horizontal line across the bottom of all of the windows, smaller overhangs and bigger wheel openings - plus be a little less expensive than the Discovery. The inline 6 cylinder should be a nice improvement although I have no complaints about the current V-6 diesel. I will keep my Defender 90 diesel and my two Series IIA Land Rovers for fooling around in the woods and heavy off road use but for use as an everyday car that has the ability to go the sort of places I expect to travel the Discovery 5 is working out pretty well. When the new Defender comes out I will buy one to replace the D5 but it is proving to be a very capable daily driver.

I drove a bunch of Range Rover Classics over the years and while I would hesitate to take the D5 on a few trails that I would tackle with the older Range Rovers for 90 percent of what I drove the classics for its a vastly superior vehicle.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Having spent some time behind the wheel of an L322 RR I disagree. I haven't been inside a Rolls or a Bentley, but I would not expect those to be garbage.

L322 is lightyears ahead of the LR3 in terms of luxury. I was just in a 2015 Bentley convertible and it wasn't any nicer than a Range Rover of the same vintage. The 2018 Range Rover is definitely a big step up from 2017.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Just noticed today that the 2018 Discovery has (not sure if standard) the same high performance brakes fitted to the full size RR and RRS. The calliper on these is huge.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Just noticed today that the 2018 Discovery has (not sure if standard) the same high performance brakes fitted to the full size RR and RRS. The calliper on these is huge.

You could order vehicles with Brembo brakes in the past even if the vehicle wasn't supercharged. I've only seen one of them. I think it was a 09 Sport. Kind of strange but thats probably what your looking at.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
You could order vehicles with Brembo brakes in the past even if the vehicle wasn't supercharged. I've only seen one of them. I think it was a 09 Sport. Kind of strange but thats probably what your looking at.

That was a package available on the L320 RRS which included the active sway bars as well but maintained the 4.4NA motor. I think starting in 2016 you could get a RRS with the V6 but also with the active sway bars and bigger brakes. Those were HST models.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
That was a package available on the L320 RRS which included the active sway bars as well but maintained the 4.4NA motor. I think starting in 2016 you could get a RRS with the V6 but also with the active sway bars and bigger brakes. Those were HST models.

You ever think about a future in the sales dept Jymmie? I have two people I go to for that kind of info, both of them really good sales dept people. Remember Jay King? He's way up in corporate sales now. I think he had a big part in making the CPO inspection forms.You should try it.