I have the last Manual Land Rover ever imported.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Definitely not from the factory that way.

My understanding is that they stopped importing them due to the lack of a neutral safety switch. I know a few LR techs who have crushed, or come close to crushing, their tool boxes with manual Land Rovers.

No starter motor lockout when the clutch pedal was not depressed? Wow.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois

My understanding is that they stopped importing them due to the lack of a neutral safety switch. I know a few LR techs who have crushed, or come close to crushing, their tool boxes with manual Land Rovers.

I think they say you could walk your truck to a safer spot to make a repair. That's why they don't have a safety switch on the clutch. I've seen some stuff get fucked up like that, thankfully never saw anyone get crushed. I end up working with a lot of the rookies and I won't stand anyplace the truck could go. I never stand in front of the things when these retards are trying to get them on a drive on rack. I know to many old guys that either got fucked up by a stupid kid, or almost got it.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I think they say you could walk your truck to a safer spot to make a repair. That's why they don't have a safety switch on the clutch. I've seen some stuff get fucked up like that, thankfully never saw anyone get crushed. I end up working with a lot of the rookies and I won't stand anyplace the truck could go. I never stand in front of the things when these retards are trying to get them on a drive on rack. I know to many old guys that either got fucked up by a stupid kid, or almost got it.

Spoken like a dentist :)

ankeneering

Apr 21, 2017
wyoming
"My understanding is that they stopped importing them due to the lack of a neutral safety switch. I know a few LR techs who have crushed, or come close to crushing, their tool boxes with manual Land Rovers."

So....I interpret this as a car with the ignition turned to start while in gear with the clutch out will leap forward like most other manuals I've owned? I guess I didn't realize that was a thing, but I never started the Boxster in gear on accident come to think of it. That lockout must be an American safety thing I guess?

So that's the actual reason they stopped importing them in 97? No lockout switch? Ive actually started and run cars in the past in gear in situations where the clutch is gone, its on a hill and needs to be moved. I just assumed the American market viewed a heavy-ish clutch and shifter as a pain in the ass at Starbucks drive throughs and also while using the new motorola star tac cell phone and so the demand was less than zero. Especially as the numbers of 5-speeds died steeply every year that passed. I assumed we were in the market for luxury trucks, luxury trucks shift their own gears and nobody wanted a manual disco.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas

Toyota just puts a override button on the dash to allow this. If you want to start, in gear, without pressing the clutch, just press the button.

attachment.php

Some Dude

Feb 12, 2009
Boise, ID
A former girlfriend had an E30 BMW that lacked a starter lock out. I was in the habit of turning over the key and stepping on the clutch to start my own car. I took hers to the store one day and came about 4 inches from sending it through the front door of an Autozone thanks to that.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA

My 96 failed VA inspection for this...it was my own fault for getting in from a flight and figuring that she would be good since she'd sat for a few months but by and large was the same as when I put her into the barn.

I go to a local Shell; tech fails it and says it has to have one. I point out it has never had one, what am I supposed to do. 'Call Land Rover'

Right.