4 Post lift

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I've been looking for a used 4 post lift and can't seem to come up with much. I wan't to have one up and running by the first of June. If I don't find a used one in the next week I'm going to get something like Forward brand 14,000 lb. closed front for about $4400 delivered. That's with no jacks, jacks will cost almost as much as the lift.

Any of you guys have experience with Forward lifts? The company is owned by Rotary. I've worn out more than one Rotary and I think they hold up pretty well. These things look to be the same basic lift.

I've also worked on a lift called Stignhoj or what ever that shitty brand Rover had dealers buy. They called those fucking things widow makers. When you raised it and lowered it the safety was way out of the mix and during that time, the thing would kill you. I had some kind of shit let go in the left frt corner of one when I was standing at that corner. I also worked on the in ground truck racks with controls on the floor. It had 2 big cylinders that rose out of the floor independent of one another. I've seen a big Oldsmobile hanging from the rear axle because a cylinder leaked down or some shithead left the lever on the control. People who knew those lifts would always take the lever out of the floor after they got the truck at the right height. After years of putting trucks on those racks my asshole would still pucker up kneeling in front of a dump truck while you lifted it and tried to keep the two cylinders at about the same height.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Those 8,000 lb lifts are pretty much just for parking on. And the one in Arlington heights has the cylinder up high for bending doors I think.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
The new Stenhoj lifts have the option for LED lighting and wheel holders, which are pretty cool.

They make great lifts in Indiana. Shipping a lift from Denmark would cost a shit ton.

Ends up these are all made in China, so I guess that doesn't matter much. When did you see another Stenhoj lift? The lights under the old ones was a nice feature. The wheel holders just look like something to impale yourself on. I just lay the wheels on the runway, under the truck.

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I'm going to get a two-post sometime in the next few months.

It'll still be a while before I can bend into certain positions, so rather than bother everyone else to help get things done (more than I already have, anyway), I figure it's time to put a lift in the bay. It's not really deep enough to be ideal, but it's better than what I've got.

They aren't too bad even new, but like you said, those jacks for four posters are high. That's what I originally wanted to go with, but I'm not going to double the price when most of what I'll be doing are tire rotations, oil changes, and suspension swaps.

Hopefully, I won't have too much else to do in the way of proper service after a while.

Try to find a dealership or small shop that's closing down or upgrading/expanding. You may have to rent/borrow a truck or trailer to pick something up, but they'll tend to sell cheaper, and include ALL the accessories.

Cheers,

Kennith

nsginc

Dec 5, 2010
I've been looking for a used 4 post lift and can't seem to come up with much. I wan't to have one up and running by the first of June. If I don't find a used one in the next week I'm going to get something like Forward brand 14,000 lb. closed front for about $4400 delivered. That's with no jacks, jacks will cost almost as much as the lift.

Any of you guys have experience with Forward lifts? The company is owned by Rotary. I've worn out more than one Rotary and I think they hold up pretty well. These things look to be the same basic lift.

I've also worked on a lift called Stignhoj or what ever that shitty brand Rover had dealers buy. They called those fucking things widow makers. When you raised it and lowered it the safety was way out of the mix and during that time, the thing would kill you. I had some kind of shit let go in the left frt corner of one when I was standing at that corner. I also worked on the in ground truck racks with controls on the floor. It had 2 big cylinders that rose out of the floor independent of one another. I've seen a big Oldsmobile hanging from the rear axle because a cylinder leaked down or some shithead left the lever on the control. People who knew those lifts would always take the lever out of the floor after they got the truck at the right height. After years of putting trucks on those racks my asshole would still pucker up kneeling in front of a dump truck while you lifted it and tried to keep the two cylinders at about the same height.

Where are you shopping for the lifts? 4400 sounds like a good price. Thanks

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
If this is for your personal use and not for a shop I'd just get a midrange unit.
We had a few 4 posts at our old salvage yard that held up very well considering the shit we did on them. Think they were 12K units don't remember name but think we did get them from Northern.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Now your just being silly Jymmie. You can't tell me you don't know any old timers who prefer the 4 post. That's all Rover approved in the early days. Guys got used to it.

But I scored a used Rotory 12,000 lb open front for $2500 set up and working,without jacks. I did good so far.