How I did my sun roof drains

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
While i had the ceiling panel down, I decided to "Fix" the drains so that I don't have to take all this crap out again. I did have a leak, but it may have been the roof rails.

The Hoses seemed to be glued onto the the drains - either oem or someone had been in here before. So just by trying to get the hoses off I broke off the first drain stem flush with the little plastic box - Damn this crap is made cheap. And all the existing RTV just rubbed right off with no effort.

So after watching some YouTube on what others had done to fix theirs - Took a trip to the hardware and found some barbed brass 5/16 I.D. barbed hose junctions.

Removed the motors and trays.

The hole in the drain box is just a bit smaller, so i used a rat file to open them up just big enough to slide in the brass fittings.

You will have to cut the fittings - The Sun Roof rail runs right up to the front of the tray and is just inside the hole. I cut the fittings and ground them of so that just the edge of the first barb was there. This way the epoxy will hopefully grab it better.

Used some JB Weld Plastic Bonder to glue in the fittings and then put it all around the outside joint areas of the drain box. Also took Black RTV and re-coated the inside joints just to be sure.

Did all 4 and everything fit right. Also used 1/2 inch spring clamps to hold the hoses on - figured this will allow any further repair without busting up the very cheap plastic bits.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Very nice! I did a similar thing with plastic fittings. Your solution seems much more permanent.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Land Rover sunroofs are one Rover nightmare I have the distinct pleasure of never having to deal with!

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
They most likely could have stamped the trays with the drain corner built right in, but decided to put in a cheap ass very soft plastic corner/attachment part that is all but garrenteed to bust. With how solid my hoses where on, is be surprised if the plastic fitting on most dont come already cracked from the factory.