What is this Vent/Panel?

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
Pulled the interior panels off to re-do the sagging ceiling and sun roof hoses. While cleaning out all the dust i pulled this "Vent" and noticed that the flaps that should stop air/Dust from coming in are completely gone.

Its the Vent in question is just above the Vair Pump in the pic (not my truck) - Its on the Passenger side behind the 3rd row seat/storage box panel.

Is this a necessary vent or can i just block off the 5x7 hole?

Thanks

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
Intended to allow air to escape when a door is shut. Otherwise, the compression of air would make that task difficult.

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
Was thinking that's what it might be, but with the hole gorilla taped up, it not any more difficult to shut any doors.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
It actually allows air to exit the vehicle.
You're driving, AC turned on, NOT in recirculation mode.
Air enters vehicle in the front, is cooled by HVAC system, and pushed into cabin by fans.
Where does it go?
Your vehicle does not inflate like a balloon; the air needs an exit path.
This is that exit path.
Blocking that vent (which typically has rubber flaps to make it outbound only) will reduce the efficiency of the HVAC system.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
The purpose of the vent has already been addressed, but I can confirm that it's a major point of entry for trail dust in my case. That side of the cargo area ends up looking like a beach after a long weekend.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
It actually allows air to exit the vehicle.
You're driving, AC turned on, NOT in recirculation mode.
Air enters vehicle in the front, is cooled by HVAC system, and pushed into cabin by fans.
Where does it go?
Your vehicle does not inflate like a balloon; the air needs an exit path.
This is that exit path.
Blocking that vent (which typically has rubber flaps to make it outbound only) will reduce the efficiency of the HVAC system.

That would be true if my Rover was actually air tight.. which is far from the truth! lol:rofl:

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
That would be true if my Rover was actually air tight.. which is far from the truth! lol:rofl:
Right?
And at least one of the fans isn't working, either.
And the intake filter is clogged up with shit.
The AC needs recharged with freon.

Oh fuck it.
weld a plate over the hole, won't make any difference...

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
Maybe this would be a cheaper way to go...
images

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
As i guessed, these vent are no longer available new from LR. So rebuilding it with EDPM and 3M 5200 as the glue. Just need to come up with the frame that goes in the back side.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Isn't the parts deal 10 years from end of production?
Which is a very compelling reason not to buy anything that old...
Sad making, but true.