'97 D1 - how to remove radio?

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
I need to remove the radio and I'm not sure how. RAVE shows using two 2-pronged tools to pull it out, but I believe my radio is a different design. I tried putting small screwdrivers in the hole on each side, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any ideas?

View attachment 57964

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Its a 5 sided screw. Ive always jammed the biggest allen key that will fit and put a slight side force on it. Unscrew it and it takes pressure off a wedge behind it. Seems like a lot, maybe 20 turns or so to undo it

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
you may need to push in on the body of the radio to get those little wings on the side to release inward. Friction can hold them out.

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
you may need to push in on the body of the radio to get those little wings on the side to release inward. Friction can hold them out.

Thanks, that did.

Two of the little lights in the A/C and vent switches were out. I can't believe I had to remove the whole central louver panel to replace them.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Two of the little lights in the A/C and vent switches were out. I can't believe I had to remove the whole central louver panel to replace them.
Yeah, that's annoying as hell. But... you'll so get used to removing trim pieces that you won't even care.

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
Yeah, that's annoying as hell. But... you'll so get used to removing trim pieces that you won't even care.

What got me is that the RAVE instructions weren't of much help. "Remove clock by releasing 4 tabs". How? Where are they? It took me an hour to do this, and I'm lucky I didn't break anything. I took a suggestion I read here and used some feeler gauges to explore for the tabs and release them. I took photos of where they were exactly, for next time. 'did the same for the coin tray. Pain in the ass. Then there was the bit about removing the trim piece under the radio to get to the two screws. Again, RAVE is just "remove trim piece". :banghead:

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
the clock is easy to remove, the thing on the other side might as well be glued in

The best way to remove it is cut a hotel key length wise and jam it under the top two tabs, then with the cupholder removed ring finger and index finger slight pressure on lower two tabs and pop the back out with middle finger. Sounds kinky

but to replace the lights you don't have to do that. Just pull the ac knobs, the slider knob, the two screws, and ac faceplate, then pull the switch out. Theres barely enough wiring to hang the switch out and get a flathead on those bulbs

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
I recently replaced the bulb in my AC switch. When I got all the trim out I pulled too hard to get the switch out causing it to disconnect from its rear plug. I had to remove the clock to get enough access to get the rear plug back into the switch. A lot of sweating and cursing for sure!