Ultrasonic Cleaners?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Anybody have and use one?
I was watching a YouTube vid and a guy was using one and it looked like the cat's ass for cleaning parts. And they aren't stupid money so I was thinking about buying one.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
I've used one in a lab setting. Great for cleaning nooks and crannies.

Almost required for cleaning old gummed up carbs

Last edited:

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
This is the video I was watching where he used it to clean engine parts. Seemed to do a great job without taking out stockin brake cleaner.
https://youtu.be/lkRVUiAJkwo

Works great on metal. I've used one with a Simple Green solution.

Just note that the ultrasonic action works, from what I understand, by cavitating the solution, and it's the microbubbles that really aid in the cleaning action. That's also what tends to crack plastic pieces.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
In a pinch, stick the part in a tin with your solvent of choice and hold the tin on the motor of your bench grinder for a few minutes.
It will do a decent cleaning job, free.

David Despain

Feb 24, 2005
Salt Lick City Utah
use them all the time cleaning jet engine or other aerospace parts. as well as an electro-sonic cleaner. I think the difference is the frequency they operate at. some parts are specifically prohibited in one or the other. as someone else said the cleaning action comes from cavitation and microbubbles. works well. I usually place the parts into a small container with isopropyl alcohol or MEK or some other nasty shit and then fill the cleaner with water. it still transmits the waves this way but doesn't waste as much solvent. and big thing is it doesn't get the unit really dirty and trashed.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
use them all the time cleaning jet engine or other aerospace parts. as well as an electro-sonic cleaner. I think the difference is the frequency they operate at. some parts are specifically prohibited in one or the other. as someone else said the cleaning action comes from cavitation and microbubbles. works well. I usually place the parts into a small container with isopropyl alcohol or MEK or some other nasty shit and then fill the cleaner with water. it still transmits the waves this way but doesn't waste as much solvent. and big thing is it doesn't get the unit really dirty and trashed.

I do the same with small carb parts and fuel injectors. I stick them in a zip-lock bag with some dollar store cleaning solution and fill the US cleaning tank with water.

My ultrasonic cleaner cost about 25 bucks from Amazon(intended for jewelry), and works really well for small parts.