LR4 roof rail installation

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I ordered rails, [FONT=&quot]CAB500120PVJ, [/FONT] from Rimmer Brothers for under $300 shipped. These arrived in 4 days to the east coast via DHL. The instructions pointed to a Land Rover website but the instructions weren't available there. I went over to Disco3.co.uk and found what I needed plus much more. The details say to remove the filler strips for shortening. I just pulled the fir tree retainers, lifted it upwards to rest on a folded tea towel and bit of wood to cut it at 60" (roughly 1525mm called for) using a small coping handsaw with fine teeth. 1 of the 6 threaded holes required running a 6mm - 1.0 tap into it to get the rail bolt to fully fit. Another had the fir tree retainer break off so I carefully drilled it out and tapped it too. Stories of broken glass are out there but ensuring the retaining bolt spacers are in place, following instructions carefully and torquing to 85 in/lbs will eliminate that possibility. All in all, it took about 1 hour to complete the task. My K9 rack will be arriving on Wednesday for installation. Nothing beats roof top stowage for larger items.