manifold to y-pipe stup options

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
Ok, just a few thoughts. You might try brass nuts, you can split them off pretty easily and they are good to over 1k degrees. Or get A&N grade high temp hard ware.

Unless these are quite thick they will loosen. Use stock nuts. I put a MAPP gas torch on them until cherry red to remove without issues.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I have used those allen head bolts from the "specialty hardware" section at home depot for years with GREAT results! They are black in color. I don't know the technical name for them.

toadermcgee

Sep 26, 2007
Newburgh, IN
I've been thinking of using cap screws. How long do they need to be? There are three I need to replace of course not on the same manifold. The old studs broke off with some meat outside the manifold. I have some stud pullers but I don't know if there will be enough for the pullers to bite.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I have removed the studs MANY times without the need for a torch. I guess I consider myself lucky!

A better way to phrase it would be to never attempt removal without a torch nearby.

You don't want to break one and then be sitting there with your thumb in your ass wondering what to do at 2AM on Sunday. I've been there before on other Rovers, and it always happens when there's nothing you can do about it.

Cheers,

Kennith

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The problem with trying to remove a broken stud without heat is that it will usually break again but flush with the manifold. Once that happens, you have to drill it out.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
The problem with trying to remove a broken stud without heat is that it will usually break again but flush with the manifold. Once that happens, you have to drill it out.

If I break a stud, my default is to cut it flush with an angle grinder and just drill it out. It hardly pays to fuck around doing anything else.