Help, Winch not working

Disco_Stu

Jun 11, 2004
Louisville KY
Today while I was doing some work on the truck I decided to pull some line out on the winch and run it a little to make sure everything was ok. I guess it is a good thing I did, becuase it is refusing to work. I can hear the solenoid clicking when I move the switch to both in and out positions, also I can move the clutch to freewheel and pull the line out, but thats it. I have a Warn XD9000 on a discreet mount on my DII. The solenoid box is located in my battery try.

I did pop the top off the solenoid box and tighten each connection to see if anything was loose, I also tried moving the cables where they connect on the winch back and forth to see if maybe some corrosion was blocking the connections. I haven't had any luck, and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips that they could share with me.

Obviously taking the winch out and tearing it down is a lengthy process for me, so I wont go down that route until I have the time.

Thanks
-Stuart

Disco_Stu

Jun 11, 2004
Louisville KY
Well there are four seperate solenoids under the cover, but my remote is the three wire remote, as opposed to the new five wire.

If it were a single solenoid that went bad, how can I test it? I have a voltmeter, but I don't know what the proper testing method would be.

Thanks
-Stuart

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Two should close inside when you operate the control, the other two for the opposite direction. You may be able to see if one is not working by touching the body of the solenoid while you operate the control. You should be able to feel it click.

If they all appear to be closing disconnect each one and test it to see if you get continuity across the main feed posts when you operate them. Your warn manual should have a circut diagram. Or maybe Warn's web site.

Disco_Stu

Jun 11, 2004
Louisville KY
yeah I don't have a manual as I got this winch used, but I will try to check the solenoids tonight, thanks. Although if what you say is true then it seems two of the solenoids would have gone bad at the same time since it won't run in either direction.

Thanks
-Stuart

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
It's sounds like your wiring setup is the same as my Warn 8274. email me and I might have a jpg of the wiring I can send you.

noee

Apr 20, 2004
Free Union, VA
Be sure to check the winch ground and solenoid/switch ground too. I had a similar problem and turns out, it was the switch ground (Warn 15K).

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Michael is 100% correct. I was operatiing on the assumption all connections were tight and clean.
If your solenoids check out ok, the next step would be to check the winch motor.

To test your winch motor:
Safer if placed on bench, but can be done in place.
1. The motor will have three terminals, two Field (marked F1 & F2) and one Armature (marked A)
2. Connect a #6 or larger wire from F1 to A
3. Connect a #6 or larger wire from F2 to the pos post of a battery.
4. Ground the battery terminal to the Motor housing. The motor should turn.

For reverse direction:
2. Connect a #6 or larger wire from F2 to A
3. Connect a #6 or larger wire from F1 to the pos post of a battery
4. Ground the battery terminal to the Motor housing. The motor should turn in the opposite direction.

Always make the final connection the ground at the motor housing.
Don't let it run for long like this (without load).

Also, if you haven't, make sure your controler swtich is good, using a meter. I've had those die. You can open the solenoid cover and just bypass the hand held controlle.