Most Common All Terrain Tire Size in Europe

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
If i was going to spend a year or so in Europe /Scandinavia / Former Soviet Union what is the most popular All terrain tire size that would fit on a 16 inch rim on a Disco 2 with up to a 2 inch lift? I am not concerned so much about brand as i am size so that if we had to buy an additional spare or two it likely would be available?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
The stock size will usually be readily available by most tire manufactures.

Tires in Switzerland were very expensive as was everything else car / truck related.

I put fresh rubber on before sending over the Rangie and didn't have any problems for the time I was there.

It wasn't my DD, yet, it did get driven on trips on and off-road.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Suggestion: Put new tires on the truck and one or two extras in the back of it when you ship it. Then you have spares.

And if you don't need them you can sell them before you leave. Or swap them out and leave the used tires there.

Beyond tires you should be developing a list of spare parts to bring that might not be readily accessible on your travels. Most D2s you'll find for donor parts in Europe will be TD5 and won't be compatible with the V8. Also, the more preventative maintenance you can do on your Rover before you go, the fewer headaches you'll have.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Also, the more preventative maintenance you can do on your Rover before you go, the fewer headaches you'll have.

At least it will be less expensive. I had great service while over there and parts even for a '94 Rangie were pretty easily sourced. Even had a B-W transfer box shipped from GB to the dealer in Liechtenstein.

And there are many indy Rover shops.

As a back-up just in case it was an emergency, I printed out the location of every LR dealer in the Countries we visited.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
Suggestion: Put new tires on the truck and one or two extras in the back of it when you ship it. Then you have spares.

I have taken a fair amount of long bike trips and i always leave on fresh tires... i dont understand people who dont. The good thing about the BMW bikes and the KLR 650 and Vstrom i put a lot of miles on was they all ran on pretty standard tires so picking up one was rarely an issue.

I was talking with someone off line and they had noted that the 235/85/r16 tire is actually very common in most of western Europe so i think that is what i am going with.

Thanks for all that provided input!

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
Since i have discovered finding a 7 inch wide rim that fits a disco 2 is near impossible i am changing up my tack... are 245-75-16 tires common in Europe to source a replacement if need be?

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I don't remember what is common in Europe, but I will say that you've asked an outstandingly forward-thinking question.

Cheers,

Kennith

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Im part of a UK based LR page on FB. Ive seen guys with 245's 265's 285's and 35x12.50's So I dont think you will have too much of an issue. I havent seen anyone running 255/85's

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Since i have discovered finding a 7 inch wide rim that fits a disco 2 is near impossible i am changing up my tack... are 245-75-16 tires common in Europe to source a replacement if need be?

I'm not sure what you're getting at? Is a stock D2 wheel too wide for a 235/85/16 tire?
If anything I'd go 265/75/16. Same basic OD as 235/85/16 but just a little wider.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
I'm not sure what you're getting at? Is a stock D2 wheel too wide for a 235/85/16 tire?
If anything I'd go 265/75/16. Same basic OD as 235/85/16 but just a little wider.

yes, a 235/85/16 are potentially dangerous on the stock 8 inch rim. Especially if you choose and E-rated tire. I did end up going with a 265/75/16 tire. I prefer the narrow tire and is what i run on my Nissan. returns better gas mileage and does a better job at handling.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
Most D2s you'll find for donor parts in Europe will be TD5 and won't be compatible with the V8.
Definitely! I?ve been to various car scrap yards here in England. I Find a bunch of TD5 engines and hardly any V8 engines. When I do find a V8 model, the motor is totally gone or all the good parts are already taken. :ack: