ABS Pump Actuator

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
In searching for brake bleeding procedures references are made to "jumping the ABS relay" and "using a testbook" to complete the procedure. While jumping a relay may be fairly obvious to some it is not easy to find a procedure for it; if you want to avoid the expense of the testbook, here it is:

Find the ABS relay, on the Discovery 2 it is the first large relay in the hood box, R10. Remove it. The relay will have two large male connectors and the socket has two large female connectors. With the engine off but the ignition switch on, bridge the female connectors and the ABS pump comes on.

I constructed a simple bridge using two wires, two male connectors, and a momentary switch. This way I can run the pump when I want. If you make the wires long you can run it from under the car or in the car.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Or just bleed them normally. Unless you remove the ABS block there's no real reason to "bleed" the valves. If you really want to, find a big parking lot, and activate the ABS by jamming on the brakes. The tiny amount in the valve bodies will mix with the new.