DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Range Rover - Technical Discussions

Old 11-09-2018, 11:02 AM

A few months ago my wife freaked out when driving our 1993 SWB - the engine revved between 3,000 - 4,000 RPM with no feet on the pedals. She had to fight the engine with the brakes while the truck was in gear, and after shifting to neutral the engine revved even higher. She stuck her foot behind the accelerator pedal and pulled it toward her, which seemed to correct the problem.

I had a respected indie Rover shop replace the throttle cable. The performance of the truck was different afterwards. You had to depress the accelerator a ways before the throttle engaged. Over a period of weeks I progressively tightened the throttle cable tensioner knob in small increments and this improved the pedal response.

Yesterday I pulled into a gas station and while coasting in at 5-10mph the engine was still above 1,100RPM. I shifted to neutral and it jumped higher, then to park and it revved at 3,000RPM. Pulling back on the accelerator pedal did nothing.

After shutting down the engine I backed off the throttle tensioner knob a little bit. While making the adjustment I actuated the throttle by hand and the spring had resistance, it felt like it returned to its base position okay.

Reducing the tension seemed to help, but now I'm back to a little dead travel in the pedal before the throttle kicks in.

Is there something else I should inspect? I want a responsive pedal but the revving issue is troubling. The truck had been running great for several months and yesterday was the first sign of the revving issue since replacing the throttle cable.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 AM

Member Trucks
Good job for your wife having the common sense to pull back on the accelerator pedal.

I had this happen to me a few times, as I recall the clip on the little black cruise control bellow thats attached to the throttle was getting caught. I am not sure how I fixed it but I have not had it happen again. This was like six or so years ago, maybe longer ago. My throttle cable is 27 years old and silky smooth. I know there is supposed to be a little slack in the throttle cable, I believe RAVE has a measurement for reference. There could be some build up in the throttle body, I would also think the spring on the TB could over come a bad TPS. Keep us posted.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Almost There...

clean the stepper motor and properly set the base idle
Old 11-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper4wd View Post
clean the stepper motor and properly set the base idle
Good call, already done.

1998 Discovery LSE
Old 11-09-2018, 03:40 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Almost never one needs to screw around with base idle. I did it once and regretted it until I sold the truck.

Clean everything around throttle cable assembly - it accumulates enough crud to provide a damper on throttle return. That includes the throttle cable itself - it needs replacement occasionally.

Speaking of throttle stop knob - I found all of them getting loose progressively; a hose clamp around one, with a tab bent around the bracket, will keep the knob in the position you want. There should be very little slack in throttle cable.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Almost There...

what condition are the pcv hoses and t piece in?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:21 PM

To summarize the suggestions/actions so far:

Examine clip on back of cruise control bellow - is it catching on anything?
Potential TPS issue?
Clean stepper motor - done
Clean throttle body - will do
Inspect PCV hose - they look okay, no cracks or signs of damage

Also worth recapping that prior to yesterday's gas station revving incident the truck ran great for several months post-replacement of the throttle cable, other than the pedal response issue.

1998 Discovery LSE
Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Almost There...

something is sticking or theres a very large intermittent vacuum leak. not a tps issue as it cant allow more air into the manifold on its own.