Overland Expo west 2017

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
This was part of the course. Two marshals walked the course while you drove to mark the number of flags hit. I thought I had an overhead shot from the bleachers, but I con't find it.
34664926815_2a4a63351d_b.jpg

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
Your comments are pointless. you have no credibility

I've worked beside MANY. Some are good, some are bad. (One was fired from a job in front of me.) You want to be one? Send a check for $30, go to one a of their many "field evaluations", pass a test and get a sticker. It's just about that damn simple! You want to know as much as one of them and save $30? Read "Four Wheeler's Bible" by Jim Allen and the owner's manual for a Superwinch. You won't get a sticker or a t-shirt but you'll be safe. ANYONE can come up with a "training association". Anyone. There's no sanctioning body or national "exam". You could do it. I could do it. Daniel could do it. We could come up with a logo, get some stickers, make a test and hang our shingle. I'm not saying they can't be friends. I have friends in I4WDTA as well. I also have friends who like Trump.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have no desire to be a trainer.. but in the several years I've known those guys I've never felt that they didn't know what they were doing.. we have down multiple recoveries and trail fixes..Ive never doubted their knowledge.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
I have no desire to be a trainer.. but in the several years I've known those guys I've never felt that they didn't know what they were doing.. we have down multiple recoveries and trail fixes..Ive never doubted their knowledge.

How many do you know?

None of this matters. You believe them to all know what they're doing and after having worked in the industry and along side some of "them" I believe they know no more than the other 4 out of 5 "wheelers" out there.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
How many do you know?

None of this matters. You believe them to all know what they're doing and after having worked in the industry and along side some of "them" I believe they know no more than the other 4 out of 5 "wheelers" out there.

Scott F
Tony C
Chris C
Jason S
Mike M

Chris is the only one I dont consider a "good friend". They have asked me to help them with private rides in the past. We will be partnering with UORTC for the 2018 CROC Safari.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
Yeah, Nena has opened up her own "guide school". She made t-shirts and has stickers and everything! Her long history driving pink Jeeps MORE than qualifies her to teach others how to instruct. And yes - just like I4WDTA, she gives out certificates making you a legitimate "guide".

I'm telling y'all - it's a great racket!

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
If the people "instructing" at this years' Expo were Overland Certified, I'm at a loss for words to describe the lack of knowledge these so called "instructors" had and were passing on as practical knowledge to use in the field...

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Frank, I will fly down to AZ next year for expo if you promise to attend all the "classes" put on by these so-called "instructors" and critique their techniques and berate them for disseminating misinformation. It would be well worth the airfare and price of admission to watch you interrupt, rudely explain how they're doing it wrong, and storm off in a cloud of profane indignation while the students are left standing there wondering what kind of tornado just hit.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Frank, I will pay your attendance fees and gas bill for the next year for expo if you promise to attend all the "classes" put on by these so-called "instructors" and critique their techniques and berate them for disseminating misinformation. It would be well worth the airfare and price of admission to watch you interrupt, rudely explain how they're doing it wrong, and storm off in a cloud of profane indignation while the students are left standing there wondering what kind of tornado just hit.
Fixed it for you.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
naw...not worth wasting the cash...If you want to come down, hang for a day or 2, run some trails that have some spectular scenery, drink craft beer, then find some smokin' hot chicks that are exploring the healing and "vortexes" that surround Sedona...I'm game

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
If the people "instructing" at this years' Expo were Overland Certified, I'm at a loss for words to describe the lack of knowledge these so called "instructors" had and were passing on as practical knowledge to use in the field...

You hit the nail on the head Frank! Someone is going to get hurt "instructing" or being "instructed".