Vibration between 60-70?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I've got a low mileage 02 D2 with a vibration issue I've yet to resolve. It comes in between 60 and 70 (strongest around 65) and diminishes greatly above 70. I've swapped out the front driveshaft for 2 other good ones, swapped out the rear driveshaft for a good D1, installed 3 sets of tires including a brand new set that has been balanced twice. The vibration persist. The 4.6 (P38 V8) has a worn cam lobe but I don't believe it could cause this issue. I haven't checked the rear mounts yet but the front ones were fine when I installed the engine a couple of months ago. Any ideas before I start throwing any more time and money at it?

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Do you have a suspension lift? I've found that sometimes a lift can create odd vibrations because of the driveshaft angles, even if the shafts themselves are good/new. Cranked radius arms can help, if this is the case.

the deputy

Sep 20, 2017
michigan
Where do you feel the vibration, steering wheel (hands) or in the entire vehicle (seat of your pants)? Does the vibration change at all if you steer right or left slightly at these speeds? Is there any noise associated with the vibration?

Brian.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
No noise. No change when shifting left or right. When the weather breaks I'll jack it up and confirm mounts are good then I'll move onto flywheel inspection. I'm replacing the camshaft in this 4.6 so I end up pulling the engine if I can see a defect at that flywheel.

MNinWI

Dec 19, 2007
Ask a friend to drive alongside you while you drive down the road at the speed with the most vibration, the friend should watch your wheels to see if there is any noticeable vibration. Would be safest if you had two friends, the passenger in your other friends vehicle would watch as the passenger has nothing else to do and can focus more on watching intently.

You already said you changed tires, so I doubt this will identify a problem, but it is the only other thing I can think of.