Hello, I'm new here...and I have bought a Disco 2

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
You can get away without the driveline and geometry corrections on a D2 at 3” but that’s about the limit. Take the sway bars off and it gets dicey on the highway.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Dicey is the right term. I think the terra firma stuff needs more weight on it to correct the bouncy behavior. As to the w on 4x4s it’s my second discovery but I never modified the first one, it was a family car.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I took my sway bars off 10 years ago and never missed them. The OME HD suspension holds it together just fine.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I took my sway bars off 10 years ago and never missed them. The OME HD suspension holds it together just fine.

Me too. Get them off the truck. The stock springs are so soft you kind of need them. These springs will do just fine and your articulation will be much improved. What springs did you decide on? Depending on what spring you chose I might recommend bilstein shocks. I feel like the med/heavy springs I usually run need a little more dampning than the OME shacks can offer. The front of the truck will start to bounce a lot if the surface is washboarded a little.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Look at the EE site for detachable sway bar links if you feel like you want them on the road but don't want them when your off road. Thats about the only thing I like better about the D2. Nobody makes a good detachable link for the D1, or I haven't found one. But Like Blue said get rid of the whole system.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I installed new OMEs springs and nitrochargers on the front yesterday. The truck looks a bit wonky right now as it still has the 3" TF stuff on the rear. The OME rears will be installed today or later this week but a quick trip around the roundabout in the neighborhood confirmed the vagueness is gone from the steering. I'll update again with the rears are installed.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
To close this thread out, the OMEs and Nitrochargers are now installed, front and rear, and the difference in stability and steering is remarkable. The only "issue" I have is the ARB front bumper is very heavy and gives the front a bit of a lower profile than the rear. Easy enough to correct as I'm installing a steel rear on this truck shortly.

Thanks to those who helped; in total the first front side took about 1.5 hours as I figured it all out, then about 45 minutes per wheel thereafter.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Kept the sway bars. Also the rear end settled considerably after use, the truck is fairly level now.

You might like how much different the truck will be without the sway bars.Depends on how much articulation you need for where you go. I had a truck I towed about 2,000 lbs of ATVs and trailer. I left the rear sway bar on that truck. Really not sure my logic was right about the mechanics of that. But it did a good job towing it. Then I got an LR3 and never towed with a Discovery again. With the LR3 I would forget the trailer was back there.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I may get the ones you can disconnect. I need to drive it about 75% of the time on roads, in Atlanta, at highway speeds, so I'm not sure I want to eliminate them except when offroad. The disconnect-able ones might just be the ticket.

90% of the steering issues were eliminated, the remaining 10% likely from wear in the various ball joints. I also want to replace the steering dampener as I'm thinking it is quite ancient.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Definitely do the steering dampener, that is an integral part.

I honestly didn’t even notice a difference when I removed my sway bars. I’ve driven plenty of long highway trips (100s of miles at a time) since then at speeds of 80-90 mph no problem. My truck is not just for off road, it’s used on road nearly every day.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I honestly didn?t even notice a difference when I removed my sway bars. I?ve driven plenty of long highway trips (100s of miles at a time) since then at speeds of 80-90 mph no problem. My truck is not just for off road, it?s used on road nearly every day.

I noticed a significant difference on the highway on my RTE spring D2 after removing both sway bars. The most notable difference was after removing the front