High beam light on (faintly) with low beams ?

Steve M

Mar 11, 2005
Hi Dweb

So got in my car this morning to go to work, turned on the headlights, could hear relays clicking near the glove box and the high beam light came on faintly. The low beams and high beams still work
But have the light faintly on in the car.
Got me stumped. Any suggestions?
Thx
Steve

MNinWI

Dec 19, 2007
If that model uses a single bulb for both high and low beams, that symptom can indicate a weak ground connection.

I occasionally had problems like that on 1960s and 70s vintage vehicles when the ground connection rusted.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I looked at a schematic for your lights and will try a little bit to select out what you need. But for now I can say that the post about bad grounds is very true.It sounds like something is back feeding the high beam indicator.that means you have a small amount current taking the wrong path because its easier to go thru that leg of the circuit than it is to go thru it's correct path. It could be as simple as a bunch of green fur growing in a headlamp connector, or a melted connector. The headlight switch could be putting power in the flash to pass circuit also.If that was happening you would have voltage on fuse 4 and 5 in the dash fuse box when on low beams,and I would think you would be burning both high and low beams all the time.