1996 D1 headset removal

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
1996 D1 headrest removal

Anyone know how to remove the headrest? The exmoor trim video is a different type I guess.
M

Last edited:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Now that I'm off my stupid fucking phone - there are two rods in the center hidden by the foam. You cut about 30mm down on those through the foam and you can get in there and see a tiny almost hidden spring clip that goes around the rods. If you're lucky. If you aren't lucky you won't see it. Eventually you can manage to pry it off, then everything comes out. In 30 years of working on cars and trucks this is about the most stupid design for the most simplest thing I've ever encountered. You literally have to cut the foam to get to it. And you pretty much ensure that you mangle the clips.

Could they have simply put a spring detent on the outside frame (which also has two bars running down into it) or even a screw that you could remove to remove the headset? Absolutely, and cheaper, too, much cheaper than having custom metal clips made for only this application.

Look! Another thing I'm just going to safety wire back in place rather than fuck with the idiotic British pseudo-engineering.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Those are nice looking. Did you replace the seat foam/supports at all?

I replaced the driver's bottom support because it had ripped and dropped the seat level a couple inches (also the reason why I got off my ass and finally fixed them). The bottom just goes right in, very easy - you have to drill 4 extra holes in the frame because there are 4 extra support hooks over stock. Super simple.

Didn't replace the foam.

The tricky part (if you have this type of headrest) is removing it. You have to cut 30mm or so in the front part of the seat to access the little clip that holds everything in. Reach in there with a screwdriver and pop it loose and they come out. Of course you have to fiddle around trying to hold the foam open to see what you are doing, and you don't want to cut too much and destroy the foam up top...

Grenade

Oct 8, 2015
Vegas
I replaced the driver's bottom support because it had ripped and dropped the seat level a couple inches (also the reason why I got off my ass and finally fixed them). The bottom just goes right in, very easy - you have to drill 4 extra holes in the frame because there are 4 extra support hooks over stock. Super simple.

Didn't replace the foam.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking to do. Where did you get the replacement support?

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
I just went through this with seats I had recovered. I wanted to remove the headrests before I sent them out. I can confirm the stupidity of the design. I eventually gave up and had the upholstery guy take it apart so I could change the color of the rubbery plastic. You can see the ends of the headrests here: