Good Reads?

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Thread revival. I remember a thread with more suggestions/replies about 10 years ago but didn't find it. Anyway, I thought I would see what others here have been reading and maybe add a few books to my list.

I'm currently reading "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku but it's taking me forever because I keep having to stop and think. I also enjoyed "The Future of the Mind" by Michio Kaku.

"Superbrain" by Rudolph Tanzi and Deepak Chopra was also a recent read I enjoyed.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I'm not into non-fiction beyond research and educational purposes, which is a different kind of entertainment for me. If I'm reading a story, I tend to want a journey that takes me somewhere else.

I've actually got a copy of "Parallel Worlds" right behind me on a shelf. If you like that, and you want a taste of just how far some of those ideas can be pushed without breaking...

"Myst: The Book of Atrus" has been my favorite book for... Well... Since the early '90s when it was released. Must have read the thing over a hundred times now, and I'm still not tired of it.

Some of you probably remember the game. I'd wager none of you are familiar with the story behind it. If you want your thoughts provoked, you can't do better. It's the end of the line if you're interested in the really big questions, and damned fun to read.

That story is shamefully overlooked, simply because it was associated with a game; a game, mind you, that takes on a dramatically different tone once you begin to understand the epic story in which it exists.

What is the difference between a god and a man? Where precisely is the line in the sand between genius and madness, and how early is it drawn? Just how easily can a world be shattered, and can it ever be put back together?

The writing is a perfect combination of detail, your own imagination, and pace. It's an easy read for anyone, too. What you take away from it is your own business. The grand mysteries of... Uhh... Myst, are left to your interpretation.

There is no "wrong" way to see it. Trust me. I've fucking tried to find one for over twenty years now. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Anthony Bourdain's book is pretty good, so is one by Marcus Samuelsson if you are into that type of stuff. One about Iceman (Richard Kuklinsky) was good as well. The Siege is really good; about the Mumbai terrorist attack.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Right now I have these going:

Reading the Rocks, How Victorian Geologists Discovered the Secret of Life by Brenda Maddox

The Man From St. Petersburg by Ken Follett

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
If you want a quick read, here's a link to an article I wrote that Hidden Compass magazine just published yesterday: Return to the Tugela is about what I discovered when I went back to a small village in South Africa where I used to live. (Plus a Land Rover features in the article).

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
I've been reading book series the past few years - I get hooked on a book/character and keep reading. My Kindle makes it too damn easy to get the next book. #DamnUAmazon

Harry Bosch (and Lincoln Lawyer) series by Michael Connelly
Jack Reacher by Lee Child
Nick Stone by Andy McNab
Mitch Rapp by Vince Flynn (RIP)

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Am about half way through The River of Kings. How it’s written is pretty neat with parallel backstories of the characters themselves and the river they travel on. The blend of history and fiction really keeps it moving

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I've been reading book series the past few years - I get hooked on a book/character and keep reading. My Kindle makes it too damn easy to get the next book. #DamnUAmazon

Nick Stone by Andy McNab

Sounds a lot like my library, although I don't do the kindle thing.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
I generally don't read non-fiction but maybe it's time to start incorporating a little more. Kenny I'm going to give your suggestion a try. I'd never heard of it and not something I would normally pick up but it since you introduced me to Chap-hop on the music thread I'm going to give it a go. I saw a few more listed I will have to check out.

Tugela, I enjoyed your article!

I will also add "Einstein's Refrigerator" by Steve Silverman. An easy read comprised of bizarre stories.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I generally don't read non-fiction but maybe it's time to start incorporating a little more. Kenny I'm going to give your suggestion a try. I'd never heard of it and not something I would normally pick up but it since you introduced me to Chap-hop on the music thread I'm going to give it a go. I saw a few more listed I will have to check out.

Tugela, I enjoyed your article!

I will also add "Einstein's Refrigerator" by Steve Silverman. An easy read comprised of bizarre stories.

Cool. :D

It's actually a pretty good spot to start if you don't normally delve into non-fiction, as it's got one foot firmly planted in reason throughout. It's very much conscious of that fact, as well.

I certainly would like to hear whether you enjoyed it or not.

Cheers,

Kennith

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA

Nick Stone by Andy McNab

My kindle was my woobie in Abu Dhabi, and reading series like the above were junk food for the mind in airports and on planes.

If you like historical fiction check out Bernard Cornwell's various series-I've read them all and can't really say that one is better than the rest but if you start with The Saxon Stories you won't be disappointed.

Ken Follet's Century Trilogy is quite good too in the same vein.

I ended up going tangential last summer and read some intriguing stuff:
The Dog Stars
Station 11
The Road (that is dark AF)
The Dovekeepers

I can go on!
r-
Ray

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
My kindle was my woobie in Abu Dhabi, and reading series like the above were junk food for the mind in airports and on planes.

If you like historical fiction check out Bernard Cornwell's various series-I've read them all and can't really say that one is better than the rest but if you start with The Saxon Stories you won't be disappointed.

Ken Follet's Century Trilogy is quite good too in the same vein.

I ended up going tangential last summer and read some intriguing stuff:
The Dog Stars
Station 11
The Road (that is dark AF)
The Dovekeepers

I can go on!
r-
Ray

Thanks for the tips. I've seen the movie of the The Road, been meaning to read the book. Station 11 looks good. I like the post-apocalyptic stories.

I'm taking a fiction hiatus this winter/spring - I've been studying for my ham license and am now taking an EMT course (I've got 1500+ pages to read/memorize in the next 3 months). Plus work (chemistry, material science).

Just no time for fantasy...

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Thanks for the tips. I've seen the movie of the The Road, been meaning to read the book. Station 11 looks good. I like the post-apocalyptic stories.

I'm taking a fiction hiatus this winter/spring - I've been studying for my ham license and am now taking an EMT course (I've got 1500+ pages to read/memorize in the next 3 months). Plus work (chemistry, material science).

Just no time for fantasy...

Ironically of the post-apocalypse ones I'd suggest The Dog Stars over Station 11 (which is quite good) and The Road.

I find that when I have to take a hiatus I end up not doing as well with real life and end up binging all over again!

I just read Graham Allison's 'Destined for War; Can America and China Escape Thucydides?s Trap?' which was...underwhelming. Back to fiction for a bit, enough non-fiction during the day.