6-Wheel Drive Discovery II - Am I totally mad ?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
While we struggle to fix three amigos, understand GEMs reset protocol, or find a blown fuse, this guy develops twelve custom ECUs. I'm impressed.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
While we struggle to fix three amigos, understand GEMs reset protocol, or find a blown fuse, this guy develops twelve custom ECUs. I'm impressed.

Seriously.

I hated circuit equations so I stayed away from EE, but this almost makes me wish I gave it a shot.

Edit: making ecus to work locks and such sounds more like ME, which was also more difficult than I cared for :)

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Coolio about the ecu shit...from someone whose done stupid shit with a d2...this ain't much different

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Thank you all for the kind comments - I really look forwards to posting the finished vehicle on here, and of course all the steps from here to there ! :)

I misunderstood RoverCanus' question I think, but to be honest, I don't have experience with re-programming the motronic ECU or indeed with SAI as we don't have it here in europe, which raises the interesting possibility - could you not just use a european ECU (assuming that's legal) ?

I'm not sure there is a separate european ECU. Just ones with SAI and ones without. The problem of SAI is a little more complicated but it's surely doable to delete it. Changing ecu's may be a start but it would be great to tell my existing ecu that it doesn't need it..

HiSPL

Aug 28, 2016
College Station , TX
Speechless! The thought and engineering that is going into this is second to none!

I think RoverCanus was asking if you could reprogram OUR ecu's that have SAI to delete it. I know on my daughter's '03 it is a major pain to work around.

Greg

IDK what version Motronics the truck in question has, but the Volvo guys have done a lot with 4.4 and tuner studio.

http://m44.wikia.com/wiki/M44_Wiki

HiSPL

Aug 28, 2016
College Station , TX
Does the latest ECU control 4 cams? I'm on another (Volvo) forum where some brothers who are building a righteous track car need variable cam timing on 4 cams. So far it seems that none of the aftermarket ECU's can handle it.

FWIW they are using the Volvo/Yamaha B8444 motor from the XC90. Same motor Noble used in the M600.

dave658

May 26, 2013
Hampshire
Does the latest ECU control 4 cams? I'm on another (Volvo) forum where some brothers who are building a righteous track car need variable cam timing on 4 cams. So far it seems that none of the aftermarket ECU's can handle it.

FWIW they are using the Volvo/Yamaha B8444 motor from the XC90. Same motor Noble used in the M600.

If it's the same as the noble, then it's it's the ford V6 duratec unit which as you say has 4 cams, but is only variable on 2 of them (inlets variable, exhaust fixed). That is unless your brothers are running some clever kit

That said, the EMUIV can handle 4 cam sensing and variable timing on all inlets and exhausts. That and the ability to control direct injection makes it unique in the aftermarket I think. But be aware that I am still testing it at the moment. If it is only 2 variable cams, then EMUIII and indeed a few other aftermarket units should be able to drive that

HiSPL

Aug 28, 2016
College Station , TX
If it's the same as the noble, then it's it's the ford V6 duratec unit which as you say has 4 cams, but is only variable on 2 of them (inlets variable, exhaust fixed). That is unless your brothers are running some clever kit

That said, the EMUIV can handle 4 cam sensing and variable timing on all inlets and exhausts. That and the ability to control direct injection makes it unique in the aftermarket I think. But be aware that I am still testing it at the moment. If it is only 2 variable cams, then EMUIII and indeed a few other aftermarket units should be able to drive that

M600 is a Volvo V8. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M600

M400 has the duratech v6. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M400

The Volvo B8444 is a wicked 4.4l V8 designed by Yamaha and built by Volvo. It uses 4 phased cams. They used this motor in the XC90 suv's and S80 sedans. It's normally a fwd layout so getting it mounted and adapted to a rwd drivetrain is a feat in itself. These guys are building a pretty incredible track car based around it.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264064

dave658

May 26, 2013
Hampshire
And that gentlemen, is what a 5 litre supercharged Jaguar V8 looks like in the engine bay for a TD5 !

IMG_1040_TN.jpg

IMG_1045_TN.jpg

IMG_1047_TN.jpg

IMG_1050_TN.jpg